Home Scoring and other IT questions

Awarding averages using "tablets"

A correspondent has asked me what to do when a board has to be skipped because there's no time to play it. They use "tablets" to enter the scores at the table, devices I'm not familiar with. I can enter averages (correct) or "no play" (incorrect) on bridgemates, but the former option (she says) is not available on tablets, so the only suggestion I can make is to enter "no play" on the tablet and correct it later in the scoring programme to an average. Is this the best solution, or does anyone know a better one?

Comments

• Is this query the wrong way round? No time to play should be “no play” NOT average. On bridgemates therefore you should leave the scores unentered which is equivalent to unplayed. Perhaps it’s the same on tablets?

• See similar recent post on this forum

• edited November 2017

No, a single unplayable board should never be scored as Not Played - it should be given an artificial score under Law 12. The situation that was discussed recently was when the movement is curtailed for the entire field and then the unplayed boards should be scored as Not Played.

• No time to play a board for a single table is the same as having the board taken away from them. The director assigns an artificial score. 60-60, 60-40, 50-50, 40-40 are all reasonable results depending on how much the director assigns blame or lack thereof. 60-60 is likely rather uncommon, though, and would suggest no fault of any kind on either side.

• @richmarg said:
    Is this query the wrong way round? No time to play should be “no play” NOT average. On bridgemates therefore you should leave the scores unentered which is equivalent to unplayed. Perhaps it’s the same on tablets?

How can you leave the scores unentered? Unless you enter a score the Bridgemate does not go to the next board number automatically.