Home EBU TDs

Is the TD a "spectator"?

I turned up at club and partner's car had broken down, so he could not make it to play, so I agreed to be non-playing TD.
I read the bit in the law book about a Spectator may only see one hand at a time; does this also apply to the TD?
I sat where I could only see one hand, that of East at table 5:-
S 7653
H -
D T2
C AQJT932
The bidding went …
W N E S
1D X 1S P
2H P 3C! P
3N P P P
The 3C bid was simultaneously both alerted and announced as "asking me for a Club stop for No Trumps".
The outcome was 10 tricks to E/W but during the play, I observed W overtaking their own CK in order to run 7 Club tricks as their K was singleton.
What am I to do? I was not called - do I not interfere?

Comments

• I did speak to E/W during the coffee break, initially asking whether the club had a psyche book.
    West asked me "why?"

• Any statement as to the meaning of any call is UI to partner, irrespective of whether alerter was asked the meaning or not. Apart from creating unnecessary UI, it is poor form to give such information unbidden and the players need this drummed into them.

In this case, what is the agreement? If it is that they play 4th suit forcing, there is UI but no MI - E appears to have forgotten the system. If it isn't, or is undefined, then there is MI as well as UI and opponents may have been damaged and possibly due recompense.

The 3C seems unlikely to be a psych (which is a "deliberate and gross mis-statement"). I guess it's possible E deliberately bid 3C attempting to show a shortage and W fielded it - but why would they, when 3NT is a perfectly safe alternative?

On the subject of "is the director a spectator?" it would be ridiculous for this to be the case. The director's duties and powers (Law 81C) are wholly inconsistent with the restrictions placed on a spectator.

Finally, on whether a director can "interfere"if not called, well Yes. 81C3: "to rectify an error or irregularity of which he becomes aware in any manner". I frequently observe players breaking the rules and will intervene at an appropriate moment. Appropriate might be at the time (e.g. board not arrowswitched), or later.

In this case I would approach the table immediately (to see if there was mis-information) and ask them to call me back after the play to see if there was any damage.

• @TawVale said:
    I turned up at club and partner's car had broken down, so he could not make it to play, so I agreed to be non-playing TD.
    I read the bit in the law book about a Spectator may only see one hand at a time; does this also apply to the TD?

What am I to do? I was not called - do I not interfere?

See my reply in your other thread on the same topic.