Home EBU TDs

And another question about TD/spectator

I turned up at club and partner's car had broken down, so he could not make it to play, so I agreed to be non-playing TD.
Sitting where I could only see one hand, that of East at table 5:-

The bidding went:-
E S W N
1S P 2C P
2D P 2H! P
4C! P 4H P
6C P P P
2H was alerted (presumably 4th suit forcing but no-one asked).
4C was also alerted and simultaneously announced as "I'm taking that as asking for Aces".
What's a fellow to do? Nobody called me to the table, do I turn a blind eye?
Fortunately, the result was minus 3 for a 0% clear bottom.
I did speak to West during the coffee break about alerting above 3NT.

Comments

• Did you also speak to West about giving explanations without being asked to do so?

• L81 says:

C. Director’s Duties and Powers
    The Director (not the players) has the responsibility for
    rectifying irregularities and redressing damage. The Director’s
    duties and powers normally include also the following:
    3. to rectify an error or irregularity of which he
    becomes aware in any manner, within the periods
    established in accordance with Laws 79C and 92B.

That's why it's considered bad practice for a TD to watch a table (unless necessary for any reason).

• @Mitch said:
    Did you also speak to West about giving explanations without being asked to do so?

Yes, Mitch, I did. I also explained that this hand was a great example of why she should not explain without being asked.
    The 4C bid could have been (jump) preference for Clubs; it could have been a first-round cue-bid; it could have been Minorwood (not in this partnership) or it could have been Roman Keycard Gerber and possibly there are other meanings. She should not have told her partner what interpretation she was placing on the bid.

• Gordon, many thanks for your assistance in this; I shall not watch any bridge when I'm non-playing TD.

• @gordonrainsford said:
    L81 says:

That's why it's considered bad practice for a TD to watch a table (unless necessary for any reason).

I'm putting my "thick" hat on here.

It sounds like you're saying that it's considered bad practice for a TD to watch a table in case they spot anything wrong.

I agree that a TD shouldn't watch a specific table (they should be watching all tables), but is that really what you're saying? Surely the point of watching (all) tables is partly to identify transgressions?

• @JeremyChild said:

@gordonrainsford said:
    L81 says:

I'm putting my "thick" hat on here.

It sounds like you're saying that it's considered bad practice for a TD to watch a table in case they spot anything wrong.

I agree that a TD shouldn't watch a specific table (they should be watching all tables), but is that really what you're saying? Surely the point of watching (all) tables is partly to identify transgressions?

The point is that it's unfair that certain tables be subject to you identifying infractions that the players themselves might not have identified, in contrast to what may be going on at other tables when you aren't there. If you were able to observe all tables equally, this would not be an issue, but of course you can't.

Other problems arise with watching too, in that it may put off players who don't feel able to ask you not to, and your choice of pair to watch may make their opponents feel intimidated, or worry that there could be a potential problem that you are observing.