Home Scoring and other IT questions

Mixing sessions and sections

We just had a multiple teams event, with three separate groups. One group of 11, one of 8 and one of 5. We wanted a tea break after 24 boards or so. We also weren't sure of the pace that the group with 8 teams would play at.

I came up with what seemed the best solution. For the group of 11, a scorebreak movement - 6 rounds of 4 boards before the break, 4 matches after. For the group of 8, a Patton - this has the advantage that each round consists of complete matches, so we could take tea after any round finished. For the group of 5, it was difficult. I decided that ideally, two sessions would be best. 4 matches of 6 boards before tea, and then the same 4 matches of 4 boards after tea.

Teams Scorer allowed me to set up one multi movement that comprised the group of 11, the group of 8 and the first session for the group of 5. Much to my surprise, it allowed me to create another multi, combining that first session multi and the second session for the group of 5. However, I wasn't convinced that it would run properly, i.e., that the Bridgemates for the group of 5 would just run on to the second session while still running the first session for the other two groups.

Running BMtest didn't help much, just left me feeling more concerned. In the end, I didn't go ahead with, and just made all groups run a single session movement. The downside was the group of 5 were in the middle of a match at tea, and their boards were live, but hey, at least the scoring all worked.

Any advice about mixing events like this, where some sections want to have a different number of sessions? (and, of course, we are doing this with a single Bridgemate controller; next time I'll take two!).

• Andy

Comments

• You can only run one session at a time with Bridgemates. However, you could have set a single session 8 round movement for the group of 5 with rounds 1-4 matches of 6 boards and then rounds 5-8 matches oif 4 boards. The program will treat as 4 x 10 board matches for the 5 team group..

• Ah, didn't think of that. Thanks Jeff.

• Andy