Home EBU TDs

Help with ruling after a misbid

My (new) partner and I play Benji Acol (weak 2's in majors, 2D is big bid, 2C is strong 2). However, my partner also plays a system with 3 weak 2's with other people.

In a recent match, this happened.....

She opened 2D, which I alerted
The opponents asked and I said it was an Acol 2C opener, game forcing
I responded 2NT (8-10 points and flat distribution)
She passed and 2NT was the final contract, making

It turned out that she intended 2D to be a weak 2 and clearly, my explanation alerted her to the fact that she had made a mistake. In response to a weak 2D, then the 2NT response is an enquiry and shouldn't be passed!

What should the ruling be?

Comments

• TagTag
    edited December 2017

She has to bid in accordance with the responses to a weak two and then continue in the belief that you know she has a weak two, wherever that unfortunately takes you. After the fact, the TD adjudges a likely final contract and then adjusts the score, unless you scored even worse playing in 2NT.

The director could also consider giving a penalty for her taking advantage of the unauthorised information from your alert and explanation.

• @Tag said:
    She has to bid in accordance with the responses to a weak two and then continue in the belief that you know she has a weak two, wherever that unfortunately takes you. After the fact, the TD adjudges a likely final contract and then adjusts the score, unless you scored even worse playing in 2NT.

The director could also consider giving a penalty for her taking advantage of the unauthorised information from your alert and explanation.

Thanks

• TagTag
    edited December 2017

I should also have mentioned that you have to continue bidding in the belief that she has the agreed 2D opening, regardless of any gasps and body language of your partner. This can get very messy as you drive to slam and she tries to sign off and you take her bids as cue-bids.

Editadd: At least, this is what the director should consider in adjudging a likely final contract.

• @Tag said:
    I should also have mentioned that you have to continue bidding in the belief that she has the agreed 2D opening, regardless of any gasps and body language of your partner. This can get very messy as you drive to slam and she tries to sign off and you take her bids as cue-bids.

Er, yes, I can see that mayhem would ensue!