Home EBU TDs

Without Standing

Gent's and Ladies Pairs at our local club. Of course a mixed pair turn up having travelled 40 miles. We decide to let them play in the Ladies' as it fills a half table. As they are without standing, do we delete their scores at the end of the session, or remove them from the ranking list with their scores counting against the opposition? The White Book isn't clear to me on this.

Comments

• The second paragraph of White Book 2.3.5 seems to contain the relevant text: the first paragraph is talking about a special case that matches the title, but the second is more general. It implies that a contestant that's playing without standing has no result of their own, but their opponents' results against them are entirely valid. As such, you should delete them from the rankings but leave everyone else in the same relative order, with the boards played against the stand-in pair counting.

• From a practical point of view, "without standing" means mark as missing in EBUScore properties (not in the movement).

Most of the times the White Book uses the phrase "without standing" it is followed by (something like) but "the scores of their opponents count". If this can be extended or headings changed, do say.

• edited March 2019

I think it'd be clearest to add a new subsection to White Book 2.4 talking about scoring for the opponents of unqualified and disqualified opponents in an all-play-all event. (The section already talks about withdrawal from an all-play-all event, and disqualification in a knockout event.) Alternatively, you could generalize 2.4.2 to talk about unqualified and disqualified players in addition to withdrawn players. (I believe the rule should simply just be "if a contestant plays more than half an event, all scores scored against that contestant stand, even if the contestant is disqualified"; that would cover the case in the OP, in addition to covering all related cases as well.)

• At my club we frequently have mixed pairs playing in our Ladies Pairs and Mens' Pairs and we frequently have unisex pairs playing in our Mixed Pairs. These pairs are simply ineligible to win the relevant trophy but don't otherwise play "without standing".

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• Likewise, we occasionally have a mis-sexxed pair playing but the most common situation is where we have a pair or team where one or more are non-members. In all cases, their score counts but they are ineligible for any prizes and are simply removed from the prize list, with everyone lower moving upwards.