Home Scoring and other IT questions

New to it (sort of)

For several years in a former life, I was comfortable running club evenings (MPPs) using ScoreBridge attached to a set of Mk1 BridgeMates. When the club "upgraded" to Mk2 BridgeMates, there was no learning curve.
Having moved from God's County to the sweaty humidity of North Devon six years ago, we are now settled in and the Bridge Players seem to accept us. In fact, our Club Chairman has asked me to "learn up on EBUScore" so I can help him share the "tech" load. As we still have Mk2 BridgeMates, I guess the learning curve might be less than I fear but last Monday night he made an almightly cock-up a slight error in the Triella arrangement. He had dealt boards 25 to 32 and told people to score them as boards 49 to 56.
The room was soon echoing to the sounds of "Director, please" (polite lot - sometimes) "we were sacrificing non-Vul but it has scored us as Vul" - yes, you will already have spotted 25 and 49 do not differ by 16 or by 32!
We told the players that they must play to the Vul marked on the board because they couldn't make decisions about sacrificing, etc, if they didn't know the Vul until afterwards.
Frustratingly, our team won two short Triella matches by an obvious 10-0 (we scored by hand at our table); although we received 20 VPs in the ranking table, we and our team-mates both scored zero in the X-IMPs table.
My question is - how do we get out of this situation? I presume EBUScore will not accept +420 if the players are Vul?
Similarly, we can't mark them as -50 if the board should be Vul - or can we?

Comments

• edited November 2019

** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** thanks, I'll suggest he tries that.
    Yes, it was the second week (of two) Swiss Teams and we'd had a team drop out after the first week.
    This is (I'm guessing) why he chose 49+ and not just 25+.

• I think boards 49-56 should have been 57-64.
    I.e. 25+32=57 to get the same vulnerability.
  • I think they should have been 25-32 but the program defaults to 49+.

• Are you able to comment on the transition from Scorebridge to EBU Scorer . We have about 6 scorers of varying ability using Scorebridge - I have looked at EBUScore but thought the training /changeover would be a bit challenging so have stayed with Scorebridge. Our set up is fairly typical - Bridgewebs/ BridgeTabs /BOS.

• My comments would be purely personal inasmuch as I have found the changeover to be too challenging for me.
    I would not admit to being a technophobe - I have a BSc in Physics and a BA in Computer Systems Technology and spent my working life of over 40 years in and with all aspects of most types of computers and computer-driven machines.
    Having found the modus operandum of ScoreBridge natural and intuitive, I'm at a loss when it comes to working out how to do EBUScore.
    OTOH, the Club Chairman mentioned above swears by EBUScore and doesn't get on with ScoreBridge.
    Two other clubs nearby moved up to BridgeTabs and went from typing travellers into ScoreBridge to using the three-pronged server of the tech behind BridgeTabs with EBUScore and very few hiccups.
    I have found both Jeff (for EBUScore) and Stephen (for ScoreBridge) to be patient and to be gentlemen whenever I have had need to ask their advice about anything in the past.
    I do hope others can give you a better set of parameters to use in your deliberations; good luck.

• Thanks for comments - I looked at EBUScore about 12 months ago, with a view to using it instead of Scorebridge and thought that if I spent enough time on it I would get into the swing of using it - it would have been a matter of perseverance to swap from Scorebridge to EBUScore . However the prospect of training other was a bit off putting . I suspect if starting from a blank sheet both systems can be awkward with a learning curve. .

• At my club, we used Scorebridge but decided to move to EBUScore. I was the only EBUScore user so I put together a small instruction document and gave a 2 hour training course/demo. We now have about a dozen people scoring all our club nights using EBUScore. They all seemed to pick it up quickly and easily. However, the trick was to keep it simple and designed to run a standard club pairs session and not complicate things with all the "bells & whistles" that EBUScore has.