Home Scoring and other IT questions

EBUSCore 1.2.1

Could we have a fuller description of the changes from 1.1.10 to 1.2.1 please? I need to work up training material for our Scorers and would like to know all the changes that Users will see rather than trawl through every screen to find them.

Comments

• Robin is intending to use the new versions at the Spring Bank Holiday congress this weekend and to give a practical report back here after that.

• I have received a report from a club this morning that handicapping does not work in 1.2.1 in the way it used to, They are expecting to have to revert to a previous version.

• Surely, there should be a description of changes with each new version. Easily done with a link next to the new version download in "myebu".

• @mickg said:
    Surely, there should be a description of changes with each new version. Easily done with a link next to the new version download in "myebu".

Like this?

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    I have received a report from a club this morning that handicapping does not work in 1.2.1 in the way it used to, They are expecting to have to revert to a previous version.

That is mentioned in the information now available.

• One thing we've noticed is that the scrolling results screen doesn't come up until it receives a new result. This causes it not to come up if all the results so far are already in before we activate it at the half-time break. The obvious work-around is to activate the scrolling results after starting the session and then trusting that it will come up as results begin to appear. It used to come up as soon as requested.

• @gordonrainsford said:

@mickg said:
    Surely, there should be a description of changes with each new version. Easily done with a link next to the new version download in "myebu".

Like this?

yes, thanks gordon. but where is this and how do you get to it. not obvious. don't you think a link to it next to the new version is logical and easy ? Thanks anyway

• @mickg said:

@gordonrainsford said:

@mickg said:

Like this?

yes, thanks gordon. but where is this and how do you get to it. not obvious. don't you think a link to it next to the new version is logical and easy ? Thanks anyway

I've asked for it to be added, but it will have to wait till the next update to My EBU - it's not just as simple as adding a link to a webpage.

• @Tag said:
    One thing we've noticed is that the scrolling results screen doesn't come up until it receives a new result. This causes it not to come up if all the results so far are already in before we activate it at the half-time break.

Does it activate if you click the Ranks button in Bridgemate > Reports tab?

There are a number of occasions when we want the scrolling results to update when there is no new scores (e.g. when assignments are avaible at the start of swiss match). I always had to explicity update the Ranks, as above.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:

@Tag said:
    One thing we've noticed is that the scrolling results screen doesn't come up until it receives a new result. This causes it not to come up if all the results so far are already in before we activate it at the half-time break.

There are a number of occasions when we want the scrolling results to update when there is no new scores (e.g. when assignments are avaible at the start of swiss match). I always had to explicity update the Ranks, as above.

I've only scored once since we did the update and I couldn't get it to come up but it came up once results started to come in. I'm pretty sure that I clicked all the usual suspects on that screen until giving up and hoping that it would activate once results were coming in, which it did.

Others have mentioned to me that they normally only bring the screen up at the break and ended up having to display the notepad version.

The club hasn't yet had a Swiss session on the new version and our next one is this coming Thursday.

• @Tag said:

@Robin_BarkerTD said:

@Tag said:

I've only scored once since we did the update and I couldn't get it to come up but it came up once results started to come in. I'm pretty sure that I clicked all the usual suspects on that screen until giving up and hoping that it would activate once results were coming in, which it did.

Others have mentioned to me that they normally only bring the screen up at the break and ended up having to display the notepad version.

The club hasn't yet had a Swiss session on the new version and our next one is this coming Thursday.

I had also noticed that the scrolling screen does not appear till shortly after the first results are in, I can see Scorers panicking when nothing happens. Also, although I have the option to" Use PCs default browser for Reports" set in Administration the scrolling display opens in EBUScores in built browser so F11 does not maximise the display. I have tried various combinations but can't get it to open Chrome.

• I've found it works fine from the Reports page, using Chrome when I have the "Use PCs default browser for Reports" box ticked and not when it is not. What I haven't yet discovered is how to do the same thing from the Reports tab of the Bridgemate page.

• @gordonrainsford said:
    I've found it works fine from the Reports page, using Chrome when I have the "Use PCs default browser for Reports" box ticked and not when it is not. What I haven't yet discovered is how to do the same thing from the Reports tab of the Bridgemate page.

Agreed, it is from the Bridgemate page that I am having the issue. The Reports page works OK.

• This is a link to a page that summarises the changes.

http://www.ebu.co.uk/ebuscore-wiki/whatsnew

I've just downloaded the program and had a quick look.

There's a nice feature in the Event details menu when a suggested event title "Sunday Pairs" is generated for you based on the day of the week. This wouldn't be that helpful for clubs running more than one event in a day.

There are enhancements in the Select Movement screen that make it more intuitive to display details of the selected movement before confirming. This is helpful.

The other main changes appear to be in the Bridgemate scoring section where the layout of the Results tab has been improved. It's also easier to display a summary of possible score anomalies.

Overall the changes are not so radical as need to retrain scorers and they appear to be positive enhancements.

Personally I would like to see an ability to return to the Event Menus from any of the 4 tabs in the BM scoring menu. This was a weakness of previous versions and it would be a worthwhile enhancement.

Mark Humphris

Mark Humphris

• Does the latest version group sections to show %'s correctly on table top unit?

• edited November 2019

** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**, I think what you have done is tremendous but I got to "I fired it up" and then froze. Perhaps I don't need to know but somehow sometimes I would like to be able to work it out. Is it possible to have a little more info?

CMOT_Dibbler

• edited November 2019

Hi ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**
    Thanks that fits the bill. I might have a go at a "dry" run myself (to see if I can "screw" it up). Might have a follow up on the scrolling screen bit.

Many thanks

CMOT_Dibbler

• edited November 2019

Thanks ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**, and everyone else, for identifying these things. Please keep notifying us of them here and we'll try to get them all dealt with as soon as possible, though Ian is away right at the moment.

• edited November 2019

@gordonrainsford said:
    Thanks ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**, and everyone else, for identifying these things. Please keep notifying us of them here and we'll try to get them all dealt with as soon as possible, though Ian is away right at the moment.

Gordon, Ian,
    I don't know how you do the development, but one of the common approaches is to have a "User Group" . This is a group of users who help with :- identifying new requirements, spec out the requirements, test/debug development versions and trial production versions. From this forum, it sounds like you may have a number of keen volunteers who would be willing to help. Worth a try if you don't already do something similar ?

• Thanks mickg. We do have something similar in that beta versions are released to EBU panel TDs who use them for a while both for EBU events and for other events, before they are released to clubs. They also give feedback and suggestions for improvements/bug fixes, as do other users.
    The reason that this update was a bit different was that it was trying to merge two divergent developments that have taken place over the last few years, so there is still some work to do ensuring nothing of importance is missing, but we anticipate it happening quite soon. This is the reason we advised users that they might want to keep their old version for a while to be available for use side by side, rather than over-writing it with the new one as usual.

• I found that the main changes were to Bridgemate control. There are more options and functionality and some of the options and functionality have moved to the Results tab (the first one) from the Reports tab. Including the "Show Ranks" button to update the the scrolling results is on the first tab, whereas the "Ranks" button on the Reports tab does something different. I don't think anything has been lost but you have to look it different places for the right buttons.

• edited November 2019

Gordon asked me to comment on changes in the new EBUScore 1.2.1 version.

This version has essentially been in beta test for a couple of years with a few trusted TD users. There have been numerous bug clearances and improvements under the hood over the last 4 years since the October 2015 release, although most users will not necessarily be aware of those changes. The main updates from a user operator viewpoint are:

Redesigned Update Movement Screen
    Redesigned Bridgemate Monitoring Screen
    Automatic print format based on the output size (assumes A4)
    Ladder results (Admin Screen)
    Variable Handicapping (50% or 100%)
    Inbuilt Emailing (for Fault Report and Ecats)
    Bigger screen area (1/2 inch longer and wider)
    Player Database Layout
    Import from XML file (limited to single session Pairs,Teams & Individual)
    Event Details Scoring screen layout
    Properties screen layout
    Reports > Printer Preview button removed
    Bridgemate backoff/recovery after database contention
    Removed built in hesitation movement (with variable pivot table positioning)
    Removed Share/Relay variable relay table positioning
    Allow Arrowswitches on any round
    Enhanced Bridgemate anomalies screen with filter to ignore anomalies
    Enhanced Bridgemate Section grouping
    Corrected Reports > Scrolling setting implementation
    Web Update done as one large chunk rather than 256kb chunks

In regard to the issues raised above.....

No Scrolling on Bridgemate screen until result received – by design! Easy fix to make scroll click do a new scroll?

PC Default Browser always used on Bridgemate screen for scrolling – by design! There were occasional issues under different browsers, so using the default seemed best and also more space as there is no top of screen header. Easy fix if required?

Mark Humphris –
    Addition of Return keys for every Bridgemate screen – Easy fix if required?
    Prenaming events – Could be extended to add in Morning/Afternoon/Evening if required?

Group Sections
    This option is only there for legacy BMPro versions – it has no effect, but the section grouping is done for each table as ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** described – and as ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** says, subgrouping is not implemented.

** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**-
    I haven’t been able to replicate the merged A/B reversal – it should set A as the lowest numbered section, B the next lowest on the BM sectioning.
    The scrolling should start afaik but it needs a result to prompt it. Almost certainly, the problem is that the Report Screen > Scroll settings on the previous EBUScore were implemented wrongly (x 1000 rather than x 100) so you probably have a large Scroll start delay / end delay which needs changing? Best to use defaults other than the scroll lines per second probably should be 1 rather than 2? Something for you to try.
    The Web Table option was also removed as I thought it was little used – again an easy fix. And for a similar reason the Bridgemate Screen > Reports for Ranks / Traveller etc prints was defaulted to Notepad as I expect it was only used as a quick check for a TD rather than a big screen display.

• The option for Average (50%) rather than 100% Handicapping is on the Player Database > Player Management screen

• edited November 2019

@JeffreyS said:
    Gordon asked me to comment on changes in the new EBUScore 1.2.1 version.

This version has essentially been in beta test for a couple of years with a few trusted TD users. There have been numerous bug clearances and improvements under the hood over the last 4 years since the October 2015 release, although most users will not necessarily be aware of those changes. The main updates from a user operator viewpoint are:

Redesigned Update Movement Screen
    Redesigned Bridgemate Monitoring Screen
    Automatic print format based on the output size (assumes A4)
    Ladder results (Admin Screen)
    Variable Handicapping (50% or 100%)
    Inbuilt Emailing (for Fault Report and Ecats)
    Bigger screen area (1/2 inch longer and wider)
    Player Database Layout
    Import from XML file (limited to single session Pairs,Teams & Individual)
    Event Details Scoring screen layout
    Properties screen layout
    Reports > Printer Preview button removed
    Bridgemate backoff/recovery after database contention
    Removed built in hesitation movement (with variable pivot table positioning)
    Removed Share/Relay variable relay table positioning
    Allow Arrowswitches on any round
    Enhanced Bridgemate anomalies screen with filter to ignore anomalies
    Enhanced Bridgemate Section grouping
    Corrected Reports > Scrolling setting implementation
    Web Update done as one large chunk rather than 256kb chunks

In regard to the issues raised above.....

No Scrolling on Bridgemate screen until result received – by design! Easy fix to make scroll click do a new scroll?

PC Default Browser always used on Bridgemate screen for scrolling – by design! There were occasional issues under different browsers, so using the default seemed best and also more space as there is no top of screen header. Easy fix if required?

Mark Humphris –
    Addition of Return keys for every Bridgemate screen – Easy fix if required?
    Prenaming events – Could be extended to add in Morning/Afternoon/Evening if required?

Group Sections
    This option is only there for legacy BMPro versions – it has no effect, but the section grouping is done for each table as ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** described – and as ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** says, subgrouping is not implemented.

** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** -
    I haven’t been able to replicate the merged A/B reversal – it should set A as the lowest numbered section, B the next lowest on the BM sectioning.
    The scrolling should start afaik but it needs a result to prompt it. Almost certainly, the problem is that the Report Screen > Scroll settings on the previous EBUScore were implemented wrongly (x 1000 rather than x 100) so you probably have a large Scroll start delay / end delay which needs changing? Best to use defaults other than the scroll lines per second probably should be 1 rather than 2? Something for you to try.
    The Web Table option was also removed as I thought it was little used – again an easy fix. And for a similar reason the Bridgemate Screen > Reports for Ranks / Traveller etc prints was defaulted to Notepad as I expect it was only used as a quick check for a TD rather than a big screen display.

Thanks Jeff, very useful.

For me....

No Scrolling on Bridgemate screen until result received – by design! Easy fix to make scroll click do a new scroll? I think the scrolling screen should appear immediately I can see scorers worrying/panicking whether it is working or not if it does not open immediately.

PC Default Browser always used on Bridgemate screen for scrolling – by design! There were occasional issues under different browsers, so using the default seemed best and also more space as there is no top of screen header. Easy fix if required? _The issue I have is that I cannot use the PC default browser and the EBUSCore built in browser is used irrespective of the setting. I have no problem with this but it seems wrong to give the User an option and then for it not to work. What is more of a problem is the size of font. We display scrolling results throughout the session on 50" TVs. On Scorebridge the font was large enough to be seen by Directors and players across the room. The EBUScore font is a bit smaller and cannot be read by those further away. There does seem to be a lot of whitespace on the display so I think an increase in size is possible without losing information.
    **_
    **_Also, an extra I would love to see is a line at the top of the Screen saying how many unplayed boards there are in the current round._

• How do we turn off the automatic addition of Session Number to the event?

• @Tag said:
    How do we turn off the automatic addition of Session Number to the event?

• MY first post! I noticed we too have a "session one" appear, which we don't want on our results, so will follow the forum on this to hopefully discover how to turn it off..

• @randhl2 said:
    MY first post! I noticed we too have a "session one" appear, which we don't want on our results, so will follow the forum on this to hopefully discover how to turn it off..

We did used to have an issue with multi-session events in that if a submission was submitted from a component event, it would say "Session all" which was clearly incorrect. So whatever solution is found, we need to be sure we don't return to what it did before.

• Thats by design - Why would you want to turn off that feature?