Home EBU TDs

Law 25A2 - Changes of call

A player passes, then, he finds a previously hidden card in his hand and wants to change his call. He clearly intended to pass, so on this basis a change of called would not be allowed. However, could the missing card which was underneath another card, be construed as a mechanical error and therefore could a change of call be allowed on this basis? Is there a general principle that could be applied where there are two reasonable but opposite judgements that could be made?

Comments

• No, the "mechanical error" referred to in law 25A2 is referring to the action of removing a bidding card from the box (or a slip of the pen or tongue using other means of bidding), not to any other sort of error. The "intended call" and "mechanical error" of laws 25A 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive. The player has to stick with their pass, and may perhaps try to recover later if they can do so without confusing partner too much.

• Thanks. That's a clear answer

• Of course the "wanting to change his call" is UI to partner if he has communicated anything.

• I agree that the interpretation above is the standard one, but in a club game I would, after explaining the letter of the Law, point out to the next hand that they could ask me as TD to waive the rectification, and allow a replacement bid.

I do this on the basis that the spirit of the Law is to obtain a sensible bridge result (insisitng on a pass has a randomising effect on the outcome), noting that in this case there is no damage or only a little UI created by the correction.

• @patricks said:
    I agree that the interpretation above is the standard one, but in a club game I would, after explaining the letter of the Law, point out to the next hand that they could ask me as TD to waive the rectification, and allow a replacement bid.

I do this on the basis that the spirit of the Law is to obtain a sensible bridge result (insisitng on a pass has a randomising effect on the outcome), noting that in this case there is no damage or only a little UI created by the correction.

I understand your desire to keep everyone happy, but there is no rectification for opponents to waive.

• TagTag
    edited June 2019

This reminds me of a time when I got a complete top for a pass-out. Except for us, the whole room was in 1NT-1. My partner had missed an Ace in her hand and, so, had passed. By the time she noticed the extra Ace, we were all putting our hands away.

Much of the time, misbidding a hand due to a hidden card will cost that player's side a score but, sometimes it can work in their favour. They just have to try to harder to take account of all of their cards and to check that they are actually looking at all 13 of them.