Home EBU TDs

Is this a psyche?

All NV, 3rd in hand opens 2D (Benji game force).
Next hand (J98 T72 A7654 T5 ) calls 2H (according to system = normal overcall).

Leaving aside the intentional aspect, is this a gross misstatement of length / strength?

Assume it is. Dealer passes, Partner of psycher has Void KQJ94 KT982 987. Which if any of the following bids would be fielding:
Pass / 3H / 4H / 5H? (Partner actually bid 3H)

Comments

• edited July 2019

In my opinion overcalling a 3 card suit is a psyche. Overcall usually promises at least 5 cards, although some frisky people do it on 4, but not usually at the 2-level.

I would regard either of 3H/4H/5H as having some logic, with 4H particularly obvious raising to the level of the fit (although unlikely to stop opener bidding a likely 4S), hence 5H has better disruption and a timid 3H "keeps options open", with it somewhat apparent that overcaller is light(ish). I quite like another option of 4D as a fit jump.
    So my opinion none of these is fielding. Pass would be fielding.

• Definite: psych

Pass: Red
    3H : Amber - I think raising to 3H on that fit is definitely suspicious, but would give benefit of doubt.
    Anything else: green.

• It depends very much on the strength of the player. Some club players do not raise preemptively and it certainly may not occur to them to jump raise.

We see this all the time with two-suited forgets: fourth hand only bid at the 3-level with a 5-card support for one of overcaller's known suits (in a 5-5 two-suiter). This is not evidence that partner forgets, just than they never bidder higher than they have to.

• Yes it's a psyche
    Passing it is fielding

Otherwise I agree with Robin

• I have said it before, but in deciding whether something is a psyche you do have to ascertain what the methods in use actually are.

Here, it is not likely to be too difficult - you would need to find some fairly unusual statements on the system card to be persuaded that there was any agreement in place from which this was not a gross departure in terms of both length and strength.