Home EBU TDs

Alertable?

With oppos silent when is 1S 4S alertable?

Comments

• When it doesn't show spades.
    If it had an unexpected meaning in addition to spades.
    If it were forcing.

• Even if you were likely to raise with zero points but holding 6 Spades this would not be alertable?

• That doesn't sound surprising to me. Others may have a different view.

• Doesn't sound surprising to me either.

• If a TD in a club tells you that a weak raise is unexpected because opponents will expect opening values and that you should alert in that club, then you should alert in that club. But above club level, a weak raise is not unexpected and is not alerted.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    If a TD in a club tells you that a weak raise is unexpected because opponents will expect opening values and that you should alert in that club, then you should alert in that club. But above club level, a weak raise is not unexpected and is not alerted.

i.e. "tell them what you play", see Blue Book 2A2 and 4A1.

• No alert. Opponents should ask whenever they're interested in knowing.

• What if the bid guarantees a weak hand (rather than merely including a weak hand)? 4!s over 1!s for me is "to play, no slam ambition, might be a sacrifice". Would a system in which it's definitely a sacrifice have it as alertable? I'd consider that meaning sufficiently far from the norm to count as unexpected, but maybe not everyone would.

• In most fields, hands with high cards will have some other raise (eg 2NT) available as a raise and those hands will not be part of a 4M raise.

• Playing a strong club system, 1S - 4S is sometimes stronger than it would be in a 'natural' system, but we don't say that should be alerted either - although that one is much closer to being 'unexpected' to those not used to strong club systems