Home Scoring and other IT questions

EBUScore 1.2.2

Hi all,

EBUScore 1.2.2 is now available to clubs and counties through My EBU.

The updates which have been done are as follows:

• Scroll location option re-introduced
  • Show Results, Crosstable, Match Scores and Assignments buttons on BridgeMate screens now display as a Scroll rather than in Notepad
  • Printer settings adjusted to avoid the issue where checkslips were printing very close to (or off) the edge of the page.

I would welcome any feedback on these new versions.

Jonathan

Comments

• its just an observation.......I am getting "Windows cannot access \scrollfile.htm" before I set a scrollfile.

• All changes look fine to me!

• Thanks Jeff! I suspect I may know why you are getting that error, let me investigate, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

• Using the beta version, it will not load the Bridgemate Control Software. It loads something called Bridge Scorer Control that I have never seen before. I realised the file destination was pointing to this Bridge Scorer and not Bridgemate. So I had to change it to point to the Bridgemate file. Is this a new default setting in 1.2.2 ? If so, I think this is wrong as using Bridgemate Control Software is surely the stanadard.

• Make sure the Table Top Unit (Top Left of Bridgemate Scoring) is set correctly. It should be sorted therafter.
    TabScore, BridgeTab, ArcScorer have been added at various times (in fact BridgeScorer was superseded by TabSxcore I think). If you havent downloaded a new version for a long time, it may be the registry storage of Table Top Unit (by order) was changed. Although BCS was standard, there are increasing advocates for TabScore, BridgeTab etc as they are a much cheaper outlay and serious rivals to BCS these days.

• Thanks Jeff. Very useful.

• edited July 2019

Version 1.2.2 has now been promoted to production and is available through My EBU. The links above to the beta version have now been removed. I am already working on some further small changes based on feedback I have received for version 1.2.3.

• edited August 2019

On downloading the EBU database I now get a pop-up asking if I want to append the Welsh Bridge Union players which is OK as we are (fairly) close to Wales and then I get two messages that the EBU database has been set for Bridgemates in one location and Bridgetabs in another. How do I turn off the BridgeTab download? > @JeffreyS said:

its just an observation.......I am getting "Windows cannot access \scrollfile.htm" before I set a scrollfile.

Had this too, think it's because the default sets to the root of C:\ and by default Windows now requires you to be an Administrator to create files there.

• Another small bug. I have the PSUsermovements.txt files in a onedrive folder so that it can be updated with the clubs machines offline. I can change the location of the file through Administration but the PSUserMoveManual.txt does not move with the change of the location. It took me a while to work this out as I kept getting messages that there was no description.

• The "Windows cannot access \scrollfile.htm" has been fixed in version 1.2.3 which will be made available soon.

• Jonathan, will there be a new manual/documentaion for version 1.2 as it is quite a change from 1.1 ?

• Most of the documentation which is available here is general enough that it won't have changed with the new version. Did you have specific questions?

• Version 1.2.3 is now available for download from My EBU. The scrolling results setup is slightly improved and eliminates the "Windows cannot access \scrollfile.htm" issue mentioned above.

• Jonathan, I have the EBUScore Manual produced by Robin in Oct 2017. It is very good especially for new users with excellent screen shots. However it is for version 1.1.3. Having spent many years in IT, I would expect this to be updated for the new release. The simple list of updates you pointed to is no good for new users nor to explain how to do things in EBUScore.

• @mickg said:
    Jonathan, I have the EBUScore Manual produced by Robin in Oct 2017. It is very good especially for new users with excellent screen shots. However it is for version 1.1.3. Having spent many years in IT, I would expect this to be updated for the new release. The simple list of updates you pointed to is no good for new users nor to explain how to do things in EBUScore.

Robin has said he'll look at updating it when he gets a moment.

• edited December 2019

Hi ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**, I will (hopefully) add the missing movements back in for version 1.2.4.

• The missing movements are not included in version 1.2.4 but I am working on it. The solution is slightly more complicated than I had originally thought because it is not just a case of adding them back. The way arrow switching is handled changed between version 1.1.10 and version 1.2.1. The benefit of this is that for Mitchells you can now specify any round to arrow switch not just the final rounds.

After discussion with Gordon the planned solution is to remove the new functionality of being able to add an arrow switch on any round for any movement where an arrow switch is already defined. I will then add some new Hesitation Mitchell and Hesitation Bowman movements with no pre-defined arrow switches where the arrow switches can be defined on any round.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback.