Home EBU TDs

Simultaneous leads out of turn

Playing and Directing today, I was called to a table to find that both defenders had made opening leads simultaneously (no dispute on that) and the dummy was displayed!
According to the Commentary on Law 53, (page 29), that Law does not apply when both defenders play a card, one out of turn and one in turn. In such cases the TD starts by offering the opponent (the declarer in this case) the chance to accept the lead out of turn etc. etc. Which I did. The declarer accepted the opening lead out of turn, and the 'correct' opening lead became a penalty card.

Thinking about it later, it occurred to me that under Law 54C declarer should have had no option but to accept the lead out of turn because he had seen dummy's cards. Consequently the lead out of turn would stand and the correct opening lead would become a penalty card by default.

That's not all. Under Law 58 A a lead or play made simultaneously with another player's legal lead or play is deemed to be subsequent to it. Would that Law have been applicable here?

Comments

• The commentary to Law 53 seems to refer to the situation where one defender leads out of turn and then the other defender plays a card.

Law 58 surely applies in the OP. If the leads are simultaneous then the correct lead stands and the other 'lead' become a penalty card.

• @ManchesterRambler said:
    Law 58 surely applies in the OP. If the leads are simultaneous then the correct lead stands and the other 'lead' become a penalty card.

+1

I doubt it makes any difference but the other "lead" becomes a premature play to trick one.

• I would have ruled in line with Robin's comment.