Home EBU Tournaments

Competitions prices

Various views were expressed:

• Competitions should be subsidised
  • Cutting prices would generate enough extra entries to balance out the loss of revenue
  • Competition prices are not the major determining factor in attendance, since hotel, travel and meal costs amount to more than the entry fees.

Comments

• EBU Congress prices are expensive, especially compared to county congresses which must deter entries.
    My partner and I do enter EBU congresses but limit the number as there are county congresses available with large entry lists at much lower cost.

• How about an 'early bird' offer giving a discount to those that sign up months in advance?

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• edited August 2019

Or, if cost is an issue, running lower priced qualifiers with prizes of entries or accommodation/entry packages to the big Events. These could be run on BBO to eliminate the bulk of tournament setup cost. They could be multi-stage e.g. hourly first qualifiers with winners getting a ticket giving entry to Stage 2. You could have Multiple Stage 2 qualifiers with winners getting a ticket to a final qualifier of their choice. Then have a set of monthly final qualifiers scheduled at different times of the day the number of finals and prizes depending on entry.

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• In the short term I feel it is difficult to do much about the entry fees. If numbers increase then it should be possible to reduce them. I would suggest the EBU might continue with its current approach to aiming for break-even (once overhead allocations are taken into account), but set a budget over three years for expenses related to increasing numbers (e.g. free entry, additional prizes / trophies etc.). This would need to be regarded as an investment so would probably need to come from reserves. There would need to be a plan over that period as to how it would be used (i.e. it might be applied to a subset of selected events rather than spread across all of them), and I would suggest the plan be reviewed annually (so you might change what you do in Year 2 relative to what you planned based on what you observe happened, and the feedback received, in Year 1).

• @GilesWoodruff said:
    In the short term I feel it is difficult to do much about the entry fees. If numbers increase then it should be possible to reduce them. I would suggest the EBU might continue with its current approach to aiming for break-even (once overhead allocations are taken into account), but set a budget over three years for expenses related to increasing numbers (e.g. free entry, additional prizes / trophies etc.). This would need to be regarded as an investment so would probably need to come from reserves. There would need to be a plan over that period as to how it would be used (i.e. it might be applied to a subset of selected events rather than spread across all of them), and I would suggest the plan be reviewed annually (so you might change what you do in Year 2 relative to what you planned based on what you observe happened, and the feedback received, in Year 1).

I agree with most of the above. Keep going with deleting prizes/trophies. Several years ago put a great many trophies in the bin as all they do is gather dust. By deleting prizes/trophies your cost diminishes.