Home EBU TDs

BB=OB?

Has anyone else noticed that the pdf form of the Blue Book 2019 has its title defined as "OB 2019"?

The colour runs deep in this one...

Comments

• @JeremyChild said:
    Has anyone else noticed that the pdf form of the Blue Book 2019 has its title defined as "OB 2019"?

I had noticed but hadn't got around to doing anything about it. I suppose I'll have to now!

• @gordonrainsford said:

@JeremyChild said:

I had noticed but hadn't got around to doing anything about it. I suppose I'll have to now!

Done now.

• I had noticed too. It is displayed on the tabs in my PDF browser. The title of the White Book has not always had the right year until very close to publication. The year is much more important to get right!

• I'd noticed and thought it nice that the BB showed it's heritage.. :)

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• There is lots of heritage. Before Orange, the system regulations were green and before that they were yellow. I think the Orange Book was the first to be named by the colour - it had a little brother, the Tangerine Book.

There was a black book of EBL commentary on the laws. Some of that material and EBU regulations became the White Book. But at one stage it was published in three A5 volumes of different (non-primary) colours.

Back when the system regulations were yellow (before Word and PDF), the other regulations and TD guide was on yellow paper in a ring binder. Annual(?) updates consisted of new pages to add to the ring binder and instructions to delete existing text (or whole pages).

• edited August 2019

To be exact the directives were yellow and the booklet on systems/conventions that were licensed was green (this was in the late 80s and until 1992) Earlier in the 70s and 80s it was one yellow book called the L&E yearbook. The first OB was 1993 and the intro says it replaced the yellow and green book. Sadly I am looking at copies of all these and more!

The Tangerine Book was a short lived experiment based on the fact that the OB was too complex for many especially clubs. Having two book instead of one was quickly felt not to be a great step. In the end scrapping the tangerine book and halving the length of the OB proved a better bet.

The title in pdf's often lived on because you had to know it could be edited. Sometimes people submit to BGB their system cards for the Camrose with some quite interesting titles that bear no resemblance to who they are or what they are playing.