Home EBU TDs

Master Points

my club often has overseas visitors without an Australian Fed number. I do not like the practice but the club scorer for several years now has been allocating visitors points to members. Once I became a TD, I advised the club president that it is incorrect and the practice should be stopped.

It did not go down well, but it is against the Bridge Association of West Australia laws. Are there any repercussions on the club, or the one person who introduced the practice? The president wants it in writing before he will put a stop to it instead of stopping it now. Any comments?

Comments

• @Sheba977 said:
    my club often has overseas visitors without an Australian Fed number. I do not like the practice but the club scorer for several years now has been allocating visitors points to members. Once I became a TD, I advised the club president that it is incorrect and the practice should be stopped.

It did not go down well, but it is against the Bridge Association of West Australia laws. Are there any repercussions on the club, or the one person who introduced the practice? The president wants it in writing before he will put a stop to it instead of stopping it now. Any comments?

This is an EBU forum, so we won't have any comment to make on Australian practices. I think you would need to bring it up with the ABF.

• Thanks Gordon. I should have explained that I spend UK winter's in Australia and return home for rest of year. Often my queries are checking if the EBU have same or similar rulings or problems.

• The EBU is strict on such matters (partly because of UMS and NGS). The Licencing and Master Point Handbook says

Except as described in paragraphs x.x.x and y.y.y, all EBU members are entitled to receive any Master Points that they have legitimately earned. It is essential, not only for the purposes of Master Points, but also for the National Grading Scheme and Magazine Points, that Organisations should take all reasonable steps to identify (with an EBU number) all participants in their events, regardless of whether they are members of the organisation, before they submit their results to the EBU

Implicit in this are converse statements:

• EBU members are not entitled to receive any Master Points that they have not legitimately earned
    • Organisations should not incorrectly identify (with a EBU number) any participant in their event