Home Scoring and other IT questions

Emails

Would it make sense, and if so be possible, to incorporate a facility in EBUScore, for Swiss Pairs and Swiss Teams, to send emails to players after every round showing not only the ranks as of the round just completed but also the assignments for the next round?
In a large field players would then not need to crowd round the screen to see their table assignments.
I know this can be done by saving the assignments list and emailing it separately, but that is more time consuming for the scorer.

Comments

• The EBU and other organisers use the Bridgemate app which will provides scores and assignments to players.

• I would not like to do anything that encouraged players to have their mobile phones turned on during play.

Alan

• @16248 said:
    I would not like to do anything that encouraged players to have their mobile phones turned on during play.

Not during play, but in between rounds?

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    The EBU and other organisers use the Bridgemate app which will provides scores and assignments to players.

@Robin_BarkerTD said:
    The EBU and other organisers use the Bridgemate app which will provides scores and assignments to players.

We discontinued using the bridgemate app because:

• it violates the law whereby players can only take account of their OWN estimate of the result
    • Players get distracted by seeing their ranking after every round and some may resort to extreme bids/ plays to try and recover.

Any contrary views?

• Previous post withdrawn. It does not apply to swiss pairs/teams

• @SteveFoster said:

@Robin_BarkerTD said:

And what about anyone not using BridgeMates?

I think it would be more logical that the scoring program handle this for itself, rather than relying on an external capability that may or may not exist. Having more options for communicating information to players is unlikely to ever be a bad thing.

Also those that use bridgemates but may not be using the app?

is it difficult/costly to incorporate the suggested provision in the email? I am not a programmer, but would have thought that it would require just a few lines of code to add 'assignments' as attachment to the email, in addition to the other reports that are included.

• This facility for Ranks + Assigns is not suitable for Email but is already available if set by the Scorer to either a webpage or Bridgewebs page. It is already used in Irish swiss compeitions which can be very large (50+ tables).

• @JeffreyS said:
    This facility for Ranks + Assigns is not suitable for Email but is already available if set by the Scorer to either a webpage or Bridgewebs page. It is already used in Irish swiss compeitions which can be very large (50+ tables).

Thanks.