Home Scoring and other IT questions

Swiss Pairs

We have a large (45-50 tables) Swiss Pairs played over three days. After close of play on the second day the field is divided into three sections, top ranking 32 pairs, next 32 pairs and the rest, each section playing for separate prizes, with scores from the qualifying rounds carried forward.

My question, using EBU Score (I am new to this system): is it possible to carry forward the names and scores from the ranking list directly on to the three sections, if so how, or does it have to be done manually for each pair?

Grateful for advice.

Comments

• If you are dividing into three sections and then playing Multiple Pairs, then this would not be possible as the Swiss Pairs and MP Pairs programs are separate.

However, it is possible to do what you mention above if you are continuing with Swiss Pairs (which I think is what you mean). At the start of the event, you will need to setup 3 sections, with A and B having 16 tables and with C having the remainder - your bridgemates (or other device) will therefore need to have the correct table number inputted. You can then assign across the field for the first two days as normal. For your 1st third day assignment, you will also need to assign across the field, so as to put the qualifying pairs in their correct sections. After that, you should then assign the remaining rounds "within each section" on the Assignments tab, which will ensure that pairs cannot move into a different section. At the end of the event, in the Results tab, you can then create three ranking lists by using the "InSection" filter.

Hope that helps!

• @495670 said:
    If you are dividing into three sections and then playing Multiple Pairs, then this would not be possible as the Swiss Pairs and MP Pairs programs are separate.

However, it is possible to do what you mention above if you are continuing with Swiss Pairs (which I think is what you mean). At the start of the event, you will need to setup 3 sections, with A and B having 16 tables and with C having the remainder - your bridgemates (or other device) will therefore need to have the correct table number inputted. You can then assign across the field for the first two days as normal. For your 1st third day assignment, you will also need to assign across the field, so as to put the qualifying pairs in their correct sections. After that, you should then assign the remaining rounds "within each section" on the Assignments tab, which will ensure that pairs cannot move into a different section. At the end of the event, in the Results tab, you can then create three ranking lists by using the "InSection" filter.

Hope that helps!

Thanks v v much.
    Yes, the idea is for each of the three sections to play swiss pairs within the section on day 3.
    You've helped me solve the problem.

• One thing to note is that you can score across the field or within sections, but you can't change this setting during an event. So I think you should score within sections because that is what you would need to happen during the final, most important, session.

• edited October 2019

I've just tested this out and it looks like you can change this setting during the event - I'm using version 1.1.9 so it might be that version 1.2 doesn't have this functionality at the moment (or I might just be testing it wrong!). I suppose the best bet though would be to test it out with your specific arrangements to see how it might work, and to follow the "within sections" advice as above if you're unsure.

In theory, you could set up each match as a separate "session" for the first two days, and then put all of the matches on day 3 in the same session. That way, scoring "within sections" throughout would effectively be the same as scoring across the field on days 1 and 2 anyway. As I say though, switching settings does appear to work on the version I'm using.

• I'll see if Robin can throw any light on this, because we would have liked to have done it at Eastbourne but couldn't.

• edited December 2019

@** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** said:
    While you can change it (at least in v1.1.x), you really don't want to do so.

It will mess up your event because EBUScore will re-evaluate previous match scores based on the current setting.

You can see this by producing a ranking at the end of session 1 with "matchpoint within sections" turned off; turn it on, and redo the same ranking list, and it will change!

Ah that's the reason, I remember now! Thanks ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]**.

• Ah yes, you're quite right (thanks for spotting that!).

Just a thought regarding Eastbourne - I don't suppose adjusting all of the "early session" by an artificial 100 VPs would work? That would hopefully mean that all assignments occur within the same section, while still matchpointing across the same field. That admittedly might not work depending on the time at which you assign each section (and there is a risk of an assignment across sections if pairs have already played each other). Of course, with the new proposed timing, this will no longer be an issue.

• edited December 2019

What ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** said: you can change a scoring setting but it re-scores the already completed rounds/sessions using the new setting.

• @gordonrainsford said:
    One thing to note is that you can score across the field or within sections, but you can't change this setting during an event. So I think you should score within sections because that is what you would need to happen during the final, most important, session.

If one scores within sections on days 1 and 2, can the assignments still be done across the field for these two days?

• @Vlad said:

@gordonrainsford said:
    One thing to note is that you can score across the field or within sections, but you can't change this setting during an event. So I think you should score within sections because that is what you would need to happen during the final, most important, session.

If one scores within sections on days 1 and 2, can the assignments still be done across the field for these two days?

Yes, at the start of a new session. During a session, assignments are only done within sections.