Home EBU TDs

Looking at other players’ cards - CORRECTION

edited November 2017 in EBU TDs

Sorry, I believe that this is covered by Law 7c - the correct procedure after play has finished, when I might like to see my partner’s Hand.
Would somebody advise me please?
This inspection appears to be in order, so long as one of the opponents or the TD is present. Do any other of the Laws impinge on Law 7c?

Comments

• If you want to see partner's hand, you can ask him/her to show it to you. If partner has left the table and you fear there has been an infraction, call the TD and ask to see partner's hand.

Law 66D is also relevant to inspection of cards:

After play ceases, the played and unplayed cards may be inspected to settle a claim of a revoke, or of the number of tricks won or lost; but no player should handle cards other than his own. If the Director can no longer ascertain the facts after such a claim has been made, and only one side has mixed its cards, the Director shall rule in favour of the other side.

• Strangely 7C3 seems to partially contradict this: allowing the 'touching' of another player's cards with the permission of an opponent. Is there a difference between 'touching' and 'handling'?

• Law 7C3 was changed in 2017. I suspect the apparent contradiction is due to inconsistent editing.

• It reads to me that you aren't allowed to touch you opponents' cards when settling a claim of a revoke, even with their permission.

• After play has concluded, there is a usual bad habit here in Greece, to grab our partner's cards in order to examine them, and see if his(her) bids were correct or not :)
    The laws mention to take permission form opps, in order to look at their hand. What about our partner :) Is it the same? If he(she) doesn't want to and ask me if he(she) is obliged to do so, what would I

• answer to them. I feel it's a silly matter, though I would like your opinion. Thank you.

• I read it that you need the opponent's permission for anybody else's hand

• Law 7C, needs opponents presence (or director's) to look at anybody's hand, but this is applied after cards had been returned to board.

Law 7B3, applies after play, but before cards have been returned to board, and need permission from opponents to touch their cards. Law doesn't concern about touching partner's cards.

Law 66D forbids any card handling, after play, as Gordon reads, and this happens in order to inspect a possible revoke. So no touching, and no handling in such cases.

Maybe someone thinks all these is a play with words, but also it is normal I think, that maybe some issues need some clarification..

• I don't think that's quite right: I think 7B3 requires your opponents' permission (or the TD's) to touch your partner's cards.

• Yes Gordon, my reading about 7B3 was narrow and wrong. Reading it again, law seems to allow a player to touch also partner's cards if he has opponents' permission (or the TD's).

Although, in real life, of our tournaments, I imagine the scene of some players asking opponents the permission to see their partners hand, instead of just grabbing them, while they are arguing each other, and I think it's almost science fiction :)

But of course that is luck of education of our players, unfortunately, and not one's law missing part.