Home EBU TDs

Revoke

At last Tuesday's club night I was called to a table for a ruling.
West had played a diamond to which all had followed except East who played a small club. West remained on lead. Simultaneously with West pulling out his next card and tabling it East said "hold on a minute I've revoked" and showed a small diamond. Because of the simultaneity of the play and the retraction I ruled that the revoke had not been established but I think I may have been wrong. Thoughts?

Comments

• If East hadn't seen the card led then I think it is correct to correct the revoke.

• Simultaneous actions are difficult to sort out.

Law 63A1: The revoke becomes established when their side plays to the next trick.
    Law 62A: A player must correct his revoke if attention is drawn to the irregularity before it becomes established

So was the attention drawn to it before W led to the next trick? Bear in mind
    Law 45C1: A defender’s card held so that it is possible for his partner to see its face is deemed played to the current trick

If the "hold it" came before W card was visible to E, then the revoke is not established and must be corrected, if after then it is established.

I would have no problem being generous to EW if the precise order of events was unclear. There is very little opportunity for UI to be used.

If after correction W has still won the revoke trick, then he must lead the same card to the next trick (having been shown it is now a major penalty card and must be played). If by any chance E has won it, his next lead is determined (the erroneously played card to the revoke trick which is now a major penalty card), and W's attempted lead is now also a major penalty card.

• East hadn't seen the card led. Thanks for your replies. I'll sleep easier tonight!

• JeremyChild: “ If after correction W has still won the revoke trick, then he must lead the same card to the next trick (having been shown it is now a major penalty card and must be played). If by any chance E has won it, his next lead is determined (the erroneously played card to the revoke trick which is now a major penalty card), and W's attempted lead is now also a major penalty card.”
    I would have thought if East hadn’t won or seen the premature card to the next trick. East now has a Major Penalty card. Then Declarer (via the TD) should have the option of a Lead penalty from West. i.e. to Lead or Forbid a Club lead, if it was to Declarers advantage.
  • @SteveMap said:
    JeremyChild: “ If after correction W has still won the revoke trick, then he must lead the same card to the next trick (having been shown it is now a major penalty card and must be played). If by any chance E has won it, his next lead is determined (the erroneously played card to the revoke trick which is now a major penalty card), and W's attempted lead is now also a major penalty card.”
    I would have thought if East hadn’t won or seen the premature card to the next trick. East now has a Major Penalty card. Then Declarer (via the TD) should have the option of a Lead penalty from West. i.e. to Lead or Forbid a Club lead, if it was to Declarers advantage.

Yep - Law 50D1
    (b) The obligation to follow suit, or to comply with a lead or play restriction, takes
    precedence over the obligation to play a major penalty card, but the penalty card must
    still be left face up on the table and played at the next legal opportunity.

So if Declarer makes/ forbids the club lead then East picks up his penalty card/

I assume declarer could say "lead what you like" - in which case West has to lead the penalty card - but East then has to keep his major penalty card.

• @SteveMap said:

Good point - missed that one. Oops.