Home EBU TDs

Comparable Call

East opens a Precision 2C (6C or 5C+4M, opening hand).
South overcalls 2H.
West, not having noticed the overcall, bids 2D, relay. IB.
Would a (negative) Double be a Comparable Call?

Comments

• edited November 2019

Maybe. What exactly do the 2d and neg-X promise about the majors? One, both neither?

Presumable the neg-X would promise 4 spades only assuming 5 bids 2s. So would all hands that have exactly 4 spades and deny 5 bid 2d? The way I used to play precision was that 2c-2s would show about 8-10 HCP and 5 spades, so hands with 10+ and 5+ spades would bid 2d initially and then 3s.
    So if they play the same way X is not comparable as it denies these 10+/5+ hands.

• if the 2D bid was just a relay and promised nothing but was simply allowing opener to describe his hand, then is not pass now doing the same thing, ie the same meaning. So is pass a comparable bid ?

• @mickg said:
    if the 2D bid was just a relay and promised nothing but was simply allowing opener to describe his hand, then is not pass now doing the same thing, ie the same meaning. So is pass a comparable bid ?

I think for most people the 2D bid would show some values. With no interest in going further you would pass 2C.

• As Gordon says, the 2D bid shows some values, should normally be at least game invitational if a fit is found, but does not say anything about any suit holding unless a partnership has some special understanding, which would be disclosed and could help in a ruling.

I don't think a Pass could be considered a comparable call as it does not have the same purpose as a 2D bid, which is an asking relay.

• What does 2c-2s mean in their system?

• TagTag
    edited November 2019

The 2D bid as a relay might have four of a major and tolerance for 3C, maybe preemptive, maybe pretty much anything. As Gordon says, it suggests having "something" else why not pass 2C. I might allow double as being comparable but probably not allow pass.

With my Precision partner, we play 2D and 2H as transfers, 2S asking for strength, and 2NT as a relay to 3C, which can be passed, or is GF after responder's next bid.

• What bids are comparable will, as usual, depend on the details of the system. I arbitrarily picked a Precision system and it listed 2!d as being makable on any hand of 12 HCP or more, that didn't know what contract it wanted to be in (either it's uncertain about notrumps or else it's interested in potentially playing in a major). Assuming that system, I don't think a pass is comparable with that; it doesn't indicate 12 HCP. I'd interpret a negative double after 2!c, (2!h) as asking for four spades.

Without intervention, 2!s would have been nonforcing with five or more spades, and probably still is here. A limited hand with only four spades would probably pass, rather than looking for a fit. So I can believe that a negative double would imply a good hand in this context, in which case it's comparable (showing roughly the same strength; also additional information about spades but a comparable call is allowed to be more precise, just not less precise). 3!h would of course be definitely comparable in this system, although probably a bad idea for other reasons.

However, comparatively small changes to the system might lead to somewhat different answers, so I'm not sure it'll be possible to get a definitive answer here.