Home EBU TDs

Dummy, end of play and quitted tricks

1) When does the play end, for the purposes of 42B3 and 43A1b?

Is it at the end of the play period?

I would expect it to be after the last trick has been quitted, but can't find anything saying that.

2) Can Dummy draw attention (within the limits of 65B3) to declarer's quitted trick pointing in the wrong direction?

I thought I knew this, but I can't find it anywhere. Law 65B3 says that any player can. "Player" is not defined, but must surely include Dummy. Yet 43A1b: "Dummy may not call attention to an irregularity during play.", and it is an irregularity.

3) Can dummy dispute a score agreed between declarer and opposition? 79A1: The number of tricks won shall be agreed upon
before all four hands have been returned to the board. - i.e in the play period.

Comments

• Regarding point 2, dummy can strive to prevent an irregularity by declarer. The irregularity hasn't been committed until declarer plays a card to the subsequent trick, so dummy can speak up until he does so.

Interesting point as to the "play period". I can't find anything either.

• @Tag said:
    Regarding point 2, dummy can strive to prevent an irregularity by declarer. The irregularity hasn't been committed until declarer plays a card to the subsequent trick, so dummy can speak up until he does so.

Interesting point as to the "play period". I can't find anything either.

Hasn't the irregularity been committed once declarer faces the trick the wrong way? The "play to next trick" is merely a limit for informing.

• Dummy ceases to be dummy when play ends -Definition

Play - 3. The period during which the cards are played. The aggregate
    of the calls and plays on a board. - Definition

This is different from the Play Period (just to confuse you) it

"commences when the opening lead on a board is faced;
    contestants’ rights and powers in the play period each expire as
    the relevant Law provides. The play period itself ends when the
    cards are removed from their slots on the subsequent board (or
    when the last board of a round is quitted)." - Definition

• edited February 2020

Hasn't the irregularity been committed once declarer faces the trick the wrong way? The "play to next trick" is merely a limit for informing.

They can still change their mind and orientate it in the correct direction, perhaps because they notice another player orienting it differently. So, I would argue, the infraction has not yet happened. it merely looks likely that it will be, and so presumably partner can prevent this impending infraction by pointing it out.

I have it in my head that defenders can point out to each other, and dummy to declarer (or even declarer to dummy) if a trick is mis-oriented up to "play of the next trick", but I cannot find this in the laws. I hope it is there as I frequently do it (a couple of my regular partner frequently mis-orientate).

...and does "play to the next trick" mean up to anyone playing, or the player who mis-orientates, or the one pointing it out?

• Found the answer to my own question, 65B3:

_A player may draw attention to a card pointed incorrectly, but this right expires when his side leads
    or plays to the following trick. If done later Law 16B may apply. _