Home Scoring and other IT questions

Correcting BBO Matchpoint Scores

After one test a week ago, my first live use of BBO-extractor (https://mirgo2.co.uk/bboextractor/) to process scores from BBO into Bridgwebs worked very well. Two positives surprised me, so I note these here for others -

1. Despite general delays in availability of results on BBO, it all processed successfully within minutes of the end of the game, and went through very smoothly.

2. I didn't get notice during the game to correct all the AV== assignments for unfinished boards and discovered them later. The BBO results did still contain the bidding and partial play in the unfinished boards, and I was able to use that to evaluate a sensible result on the board even a day later. Having loaded the results into EBUScorePairs, I could now correct that score and upload the amended results to our website.

VMT to the authors of BBO Extractor

Comments

• edited May 2020

Would you mind sharing how you uploaded the file into EBUScore? I tried to do that the other day and couldn't work out how to do it (the "Import" option in the program itself didn't seem to like the file type).

I also note that the BBO scores are calculated using simple matchpoints and not Neuberg so if any Av scores are not resolved, there could be a discrepancy between the BBO and official results (this will depend on whether you upload directly from BBO Extractor or via EBUScore I imagine).

And thanks too to the BBO Extractor authors, a very helpful tool!

• edited May 2020

@495670 said:
    Would you mind sharing how you uploaded the file into EBUScore?

If you can create an XML/UMS file for the session/section then you can 'Import from XML'

• Thanks Robin, looks like that's a new feature in v1.2 which I've been a bit lazy in moving across to!

• Also note that if you use the Goacher's software to extract the BBO data and create the XML files for Bridgewebs and the EBU you now have the option to retaining the BBO results or of having them recalculated using Neuberg removing the need to re-score in EBUScore.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:

@495670 said:
    Would you mind sharing how you uploaded the file into EBUScore?

If you can create an XML/UMS file for the session/section then you can 'Import from XML'

I am also trying to upload the scores from BBO to EBUScore. I created the XML file but cannot find the 'import from XML' button. Can you please tell me where it is?

• it is only in v2 of EBUScore. I had the same problem trying to find it in v1. it is not there !

• IF you're using Chris chambers' BBO Scorer - which has some advantages over BBO extractor depending on your needs, he has a development version which produces output that feeds directly into EBUScore
    I have used it and it worked fine, you can request a copy from him
    (or message me on here and I'll pass your request on ... the copy I have is not for distribution)
    I believe it would have been tested and released by now had not BBO erased all Traveller History on Sunday

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• I am having difficulties getting on the www.mirgo2.co.uk website - is it just me? (Tried three browsers)

• @weejonnie said:
    I am having difficulties getting on the www.mirgo2.co.uk website - is it just me? (Tried three browsers)

https://mirgo2.co.uk/bridgesolver/ works.

• I noticed our mirgo2.co.uk website was occasionally inaccessible for short periods over the holiday weekend. Note that although the documentation for BBO Extractor/BBOtoXML is on that website, the availability of the software is not affected. If you need to run BBOtoXML it's on Bridgewebs at https://dds.bridgewebs.com/bbotoxml

• @weejonnie said:
    I am having difficulties getting on the www.mirgo2.co.uk website - is it just me? (Tried three browsers)

I had that problem on my desktop, but got through ok on my laptops. Just tried now on my desktop again and doesn’t like the security certificate. Using Microsoft edge.

• The web hosting service (Interserver) has now changed the numeric IP address of the mirgo2.co.uk websites. They tell us this should fix the recent problems, but that it may take a few hours for the change to be reflected in DNS servers across the web. In the meantime you can still access the bbotoxml web app as described above.
  • Thx for quick response and of course your software.

• @jgoacher said:
    The web hosting service (Interserver) has now changed the numeric IP address of the mirgo2.co.uk websites. They tell us this should fix the recent problems, but that it may take a few hours for the change to be reflected in DNS servers across the web. In the meantime you can still access the bbotoxml web app as described above.

Well the home page is very interesting at the moment so lets hope it clears up.

Josip Tabak - Hrvatski prevoditelj - arhiv prijevoda

<

style>
    body {
    font-family: times, serif;
    font-size: 18px;
    color: brown;
    font-style: normal;
    background-color: white;}

• I have been successful with BBOExtractor and BBOtoXML producing an XML file for Bridgwebs and UMS. Uploading the file to Bridgewebs works fine. However, when I import the XML file into EBUSCore the results become corrupted. It looks like, because EBUScore does not have movement information > @Peter said:

IF you're using Chris chambers' BBO Scorer - which has some advantages over BBO extractor depending on your needs, he has a development version which produces output that feeds directly into EBUScore
    I have used it and it worked fine, you can request a copy from him
    (or message me on here and I'll pass your request on ... the copy I have is not for distribution)
    I believe it would have been tested and released by now had not BBO erased all Traveller History on Sunday

Peter, could you request a copy of Chris Chamber's BBOScorer for me please. stanchristie@gmail.com.

• @StanC said:
    I have been successful with BBOExtractor and BBOtoXML producing an XML file for Bridgwebs and UMS. Uploading the file to Bridgewebs works fine. However, when I import the XML file into EBUSCore the results become corrupted. It looks like, because EBUScore does not have movement information

I know that some users have been successfully importing XML from BBOExtractor into EBUScore. It would be helpful if you could email an example of an XML file that you have had problems with, if possible with the CSV file from which it has been generated, and a brief description of the nature of the problem, to bboextractor@bridgepal.co.uk

• @StanC said:
    I have been successful with BBOExtractor and BBOtoXML producing an XML file for Bridgwebs and UMS. Uploading the file to Bridgewebs works fine. However, when I import the XML file into EBUSCore the results become corrupted. It looks like, because EBUScore does not have movement information

I had the same problem but I think that's the default error message in EBUScore v1, which can't support the XML upload. v2 worked absolutely fine. There shouldn't be a movement issue as EBUScore doesn't need a movement to upload XML results (bizarre but very handy! Also most BBO movements are Mitchells)

• Every time I try to Import an XML file into EBUScore it says "you need an internet connection for the DTD file" - has anyone else had this problem? How did you get round it?

• @dgemerson said:
    Every time I try to Import an XML file into EBUScore it says "you need an internet connection for the DTD file" - has anyone else had this problem? How did you get round it?

PS I am connected to the internet!

• @dgemerson said:
    Every time I try to Import an XML file into EBUScore it says "you need an internet connection for the DTD file" - has anyone else had this problem? How did you get round it?

I have had that problem (while connected to the internet!) but I think that was on v1.1? v1.2 of EBUScore should resolve that issue. An issue may come up if you've tried to manually change the XML file for some reason but made an error, in which case the upload will fail and may give this error message.

• @dgemerson said:

@dgemerson said:

PS I am connected to the internet!

Are you attempting to import the UMS XML file created by BBO Extractor, or the XML file created for upload to Bridgewebs ? You will definitely get that message if you attempt to import the Bridgewebs version of the file into EBUScore.

• Thanks for the help - I've managed to import the correct XML file to EBUScore now and change a result, but I then made a P2P file in EBUScore and tried to upload that to the EBU and that didn't work. MyEBU reported "trouble parsing file". Upload to Bridgewebs from EBUScore worked fine.

• You could try putting the file through the USEBIO validator to see if that helps identify the problem. Bridgewebs is less strict about enforcing the standards in files it accepts.

• The USEBIO validator gave me the same response that the file couldn't be parsed, but didn't give any extra info on where the problem might be. In the end we re-imported the results with the correction in from the Bridgewebs file which had been successful, made a new UMS file and that worked.

• Another thing to do is to upload it to an XML validator like https://www.xmlvalidation.com/ which will usually indicate the line where the problem first appears.

• @gordonrainsford said:
    Another thing to do is to upload it to an XML validator like https://www.xmlvalidation.com/ which will usually indicate the line where the problem first appears.

Yep, or open it in Chrome directly. That usually tells you what the issue is too.

• The problem is that John Goacher includes the Bid & Play Data for the Bridgewebs version in an element LIN_DATA, but the DTD for Usebio does not have a declaration for that element - hence the XML load fails! So you can only import from the nonBridgewebs version. You can change the DTD file to include this declaration yourself (if you know how to do it) - or maybe Michael can update the public version some time?

• I don't think that is the issue here. My understanding from the previous comments on this thread is that the correct version of the XML file (the UMS version) is being imported into EBUScore, but the P2P file generated by EBUScore is failing on upload to the EBU.
  • @JeffreyS said:
    The problem is that John Goacher includes the Bid & Play Data for the Bridgewebs version in an element LIN_DATA, but the DTD for Usebio does not have a declaration for that element - hence the XML load fails! So you can only import from the nonBridgewebs version. You can change the DTD file to include this declaration yourself (if you know how to do it) - or maybe Michael can update the public version some time?

If it's not in the USEBIO specification, I shouldn't really add it to the DTD. But nothing wrong with two third parties (JG and Bridgewebs) agreeing on a private extension like this.