Home Scoring and other IT questions

Uploading BBO results to EBU for robot players

We had a half table this afternoon, so tried out the robot subs. Technically it worked fine. (I still need to get feedback on what the players who played against them thought). When loading the results up to the EBU, the name search for surname robot revealed nothing, so we put them in as guests.

Is this what we should be doing, or is there an EBU number we should use, or ??

I have read that they have an NGS ranking, so presumably they are known in the EBU system.

Thanks for any guidance.

Comments

• The bots do have EBU numbers - 900000 through to 900003. BBO told me that robot subs are Basic Bots (Basic BBO Bot A 900000, Basic BBO Bot B 900001), whereas robot players (that are paid for by their partner) are Advanced (900002). I believe the Advanced Bot is a J/Q on the NGS, but they play so many boards that it is probably based on a completely different set of boards from one day to the next!

• @495670 said:
    The bots do have EBU numbers - 900000 through to 900003. BBO told me that robot subs are Basic Bots (Basic BBO Bot A 900000, Basic BBO Bot B 900001), whereas robot players (that are paid for by their partner) are Advanced (900002).

Thanks a lot. EBU submission updated with the basic bots EBU numbers. They are currently 10s on the NGS (lookup "Bot A, basic bbo", etc.), but may be going up after finishing 2nd EW yesterday (and also earning some master points!!).

• @PeterB001 said:

@495670 said:
    The bots do have EBU numbers - 900000 through to 900003. BBO told me that robot subs are Basic Bots (Basic BBO Bot A 900000, Basic BBO Bot B 900001), whereas robot players (that are paid for by their partner) are Advanced (900002).

Thanks a lot. EBU submission updated with the basic bots EBU numbers. They are currently 10s on the NGS (lookup "Bot A, basic bbo", etc.), but may be going up after finishing 2nd EW yesterday (and also earning some master points!!).

Are you sure the ones you are using are basic and not Advanced?

• @gordonrainsford said:

Are you sure the ones you are using are basic and not Advanced?

Gordon, how can we tell? (I'd been assuming they were all advanced)

And what do we do if we have three of the same category as I did on Tuesday (two sitout replacements plus one disconnect replacement where the disconnect was before halfway and permanent)?

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• You can have multiples of the same bot in a single session, so just use the same EBU numbers for each sitout.

• Thanks Michael that's what I' ve done but reading the posts I am still uncertain whether I should be using 900000 (Basic) or 900002 (Advanced) for robots substituted in by the director. Any guidance appreciated.

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• When I asked BBO, they said 900002 is suitable if it's a player paying to play with a robot, and 900000 if the director subs in a robot for a sitout or unresponsive player. They may well change that setup at any time and it wouldn't be possible to tell (the difference in reality is pretty small - advanced bots tend to just be a bit more aggressive).

I'm sure most clubs have just chosen one or the other for all of their events - the NGS is interesting to look at but otherwise choosing which robot is somewhat irrelevant (they're all juniors which is the main thing).

So short answer, I think 900000 (Basic) is right for the case you've described. But don't worry too much about it :)

• Hmm interestingly this admin post (https://www.bridgebase.com/forums/topic/82977-new-arobot-substitution/page__st__20) says they use advanced robots for substitutions. So 2 different BBO admins have given different answers :) It may well be that EBU VCs get advanced robot substitutions but my tournament (which was just a personal one so no BB$ involved) had a basic robot sub. I think you would have to ask BBO to check for your specific tournament type if you were particularly interested.

• I've only heard of Advanced Bots being used as substitutes, which was why I responded to PeterB001 to try to stop him submitting results to the wrong record.

• For those people, like us, who are using the BBO extractor software to convert BBO names to real names and Ebu numbers, is there anything we can put in this file that will do the correct conversion from robot to a suitable name plus Ebu number?
  • Just uploaded an event with two robots.
    The entry I used in the 'names' file for BBO extractor was
    robot, ,BBO Bot A, 900002
    His/her forename is 'Advanced' but I didn't bother with that!

Does it matter that there were two (identical) uploads for 900002?
    Or should one of them be 900003?
    (That would be more difficult to automate in BBO Extractor)

• @MikeK said:
    Just uploaded an event with two robots.
    The entry I used in the 'names' file for BBO extractor was
    robot, ,BBO Bot A, 900002
    His/her forename is 'Advanced' but I didn't bother with that!

Does it matter that there were two (identical) uploads for 900002?
    Or should one of them be 900003?
    (That would be more difficult to automate in BBO Extractor)

No, it doesn't matter - the software should be able to cope.