Home EBU TDs

Auction period and Auction

Just confirming...

The Auction period starts at 17A (withdrawing cards)
The Auction period ends in Law 17D (faced lead)
Auction, ends in Law 22, but when does it really start? Does it start simultaneous with the beginning of the Auction Period, or when first call is made on table?

The slight difference is that Law 24 has changed, and is applied when Auction begins, and not when Auction period begins, as it was in 2007 Laws.

So if a card drops before first call, we apply Law 16D1, otherwise if a call has been made, we apply Law 24.

Comments

• The definition of Auction says "it begins when the first call is made".

I think it is generally acknowledged that in making this change in the new laws, one of its consequences was missed. We'll just have to wait for the Commentary to be published and hope it covers this.

• Until a clarification is (hopefully) received, how should one deal with a situation where a player discloses one or more cards after the auction period starts but before the auction begins? Apply Law 24?

• edited January 2018

Law 16D - extraneous information
    . When a player accidentally receives extraneous information about a board he is playing or
    has yet to play, as by looking at the wrong hand; by overhearing calls, results or remarks; by
    seeing cards at another table;or by seeing a card belonging to another player at his own
    table before the auction begins
    (see also Law 13A), the Director should be notified
    forthwith, preferably by the recipient of the information.

(Law 13A deals with the situation when a player has an incorrect number of cards e.g. one gets transposed from North to West and this is discovered before anyone has made a call (NB there may be a PP if the missing card is in someone else's hand and they have looked as presumably someone hasn't counted))

(I have already commented on the fact that it would have been useful if this had been referenced in law 24)

• @weejonnie said:
    (I have already commented on the fact that it would have been useful if this had been referenced in law 24)

I've sent a message to that effect to the secretary of the WBFLC.

• Thank you weejonnie.

Curious that in 16.D3 where it says 'if such extraneous information is received after the first call in the auction has been made......', reference is not directed to Law 24 for those cases where the extraneous information is obtained 'by seeing a card belonging to another player....'

• @gordonrainsford said:

@weejonnie said:

I've sent a message to that effect to the secretary of the WBFLC.

He says it was covered in a recent meeting of the WBFLC and that the minutes will be released fairly soon.