Home Scoring and other IT questions

Problems EBUScore processing BBO session with a Sit Out

We have processed many BBO sessions via EBUscore but the first session with a Sit Out we have tried to process via EBUScore has failed. The BBO extracted files were all fine; However once loaded into EBUScore there were multiple problems.
There were 13 NS pairs and 12 EW pairs. When loaded to EBUScore the Player names showed correctly, however when the ranks report was displayed on screen showed a NS pair as an EW pair. Going back into Player names a pair had disappeared from the EW side. Going back out to the menu and going back into Player names removed another pair. This continued.
The BBO To XML files were checked line by line and showed no errors.
In the end I loaded the BBO XML converted file directly to Pianola to process through to the EBU. The results were showing correctly and the NS and EW pairs were also showing correctly. This can only be an EBUScore issue. If anyone from EBU can confirm if EBUScore can handle this type of session we would be grateful.

Comments

• A problem I saw recently was that the file produced by the online bridge system had no
    < PAIRS > element in the XML. When this was read into EBUScore the names were all empty, and the results showed no pairs. This may be the problem here, or it may be that one or both of the elements < NS_PAIRS > and < EW_PAIRS > (which apply to two-winner movements) are missing.

• Thanks Robin
    The pairs element was in the XML file and I checked these for ever board played. The names loaded into EBUScore fine and displaying travellers by name also showed fine other than an E was present by the side of the one NS pair despite that pair showing NS in the XML file. However the results showed this one NS pair as EW and odd things happened when going back into player names. There was nothing suspect in the BBO extracted UMS files and these were loaded successfully to Bridgewebs & Pianola.
  • The relevant XML file had
    but no field. Adding one in did not solve the problem.

• Many thanks Robin for finding a solution to this problem. I edited my copy of the xml file as suggested and this worked perfectly.

• The underlying problem is that EBUScore assumes an even number of 'tables'. I have already sent the fix (round up tthe NS+EW pairs) to Jonathan for the next version. Meantime, you will need to manually change the XML to 13 13 (rather than 12 13) and then you can mark the missing pair after import on the Properties page.

• Many thanks Jeffrey. I assumed it was due to EBUscore not knowing there was a Sitout but couldn't think of a way to sort it out. Robin has put me straight on this. It's a case of editing the converted XML file to increase the pair number by one. Then once imported into EBUScore going into properties and marking the extra table as missing. It works well.
    I'm pleased to hear you have asked for a fix for this problem, which is obviously the best option.
  • edited October 2020

The workaround, created an event with an empty EW pair, which could then be marked as missing.

The other time I saw a problem was a file with no < PAIRS > element, and there were nothing showing in Names or from Reports. The USEBIO says that < PAIRS > is optional and the number can be calculated from the participants.

• Hi Robin,
    Although Usebio states that the total number of <pairs> isn't required Usebio does rely on all the other Pair Child Elements being present where relevant. Perhaps it couldn't perform the calculation because the participant information wasn't complete for some reason. I hope you managed to solve it.