Home Scoring and other IT questions

Teams-of-Eight Reprise

I know this has been raised before, but I would appreciate more details.
I am planning to use RealBridge and it will be head-to-head rather than league.
Ideally each pair plays all four opposition pairs; so examples of config files and/or session settings.
Also not clear how I can extract scores/ import to EBUScore.
(For historical reasons scoring may be aggregated then Imped.)

Comments

• The most recent RealBridge support email gives details of advanced director sessions where I imagine this will be discussed.

This page - https://realbridge.online/realbridge-config-files.html - may also be of use.

Scoring options are limited on RealBridge but you should be able to export into EBUScore directly from RealBridge and then change the scoring method.

• I have grappled with the config file stuff OKish. But the 'should be able to export to EBUScore' is thwarting me!
    I can produce a plausible looking XML file, and even export to EBUScore.
    But EBUScore thinks I have four teams of four.
    I cant change the scoring method to Teams-of-Eight - error message telling me to set up two mirrored sections!

• I am surprised you managed to get XML imported into EBUScore Teams.

I think the teams-of-eight scoring requires a movement in two sections which it allows it to identification which teams of four comprise one team of eight. Without identification of teams and rounds/mathes, it will 'struggle'.

• I can import the XML file into EBUScore Teams, but of course the reports produced are for the Individual teams of 4, and no XIMPS.

• The BBOtoXML extractor might help. If (and only if ) the matches are using the same boards, the teams of 4 matches results from Realbridge can be merged in BBOtoXML to produce a teams of 8. This can then be uploaded.

• Unfortunately the movement I used in RealBridge was one session so 26 tables in same room divided so 1-13 only met each other and likewise tables 14-26. Maybe I could have set up two separate sessions of 13 tables then merged them as you suggest.

• Realbridge have now created a config file for teams of eight, and you play all four of the opposing pairs. It works well .

• @108839 said:
    Realbridge have now created a config file for teams of eight, and you play all four of the opposing pairs. It works well .

Except it gives two scores on the scale of 20-0 to each team of 8 . i.e it scores each round as separate T of 8 whereas BBOtoXML adds all the Imps then VPs, resulting in one score for each team.

• @Triffid said:
    Unfortunately the movement I used in RealBridge was one session so 26 tables in same room divided so 1-13 only met each other and likewise tables 14-26. Maybe I could have set up two separate sessions of 13 tables then merged them as you suggest.

Just to clariify - BBOtoXML has the facility to combine Teams of Four into Teams of Eight on its import screen even if it is a single session. You have to identify a pair of Teams to be combined by means of a checkbox next to the team number on the displayed ranking list and then click on "Combine Teams". Repeat this for each pair of teams to be combined. However, BBOtoXML only supports Cross Imp (Tollemache), or Imp then Add, for Teams of Eight scoring.

• Almost a year ago John. I probably spoke to you at the time to point me in the right direction. :)

• HI

If you are playing on RealBridge, then they have ALMOST got it right on their website here
    https://realbridge.online/scoring-and-movement-notes.html.

However the movement on the website goes wrong for the last round. The config file produces a legal movement, but instead of each pair either playing NS for all rounds, EW for all rounds, or NS for two and EW for two, what happens is that half the pairs play either three rounds NS and one EW or vice versa.

Since this was discovered, working very closely with the team at RealBridge, (thanks Shireen) I have a config file that works perfectly. The away team all sit either NS or EW for all four rounds, the home team play two NS and two EW, and all the seating movements are automatic. You also have a choice of scoring options.

The config file is available, which I will email if anyone needs it

• You can send it to me Robin. I suspect we have the Home team at tables 1 and 2, Away team at 3 and 4, etc and using big_team_spacing = 1 rather than = 2. Will e-mail separately with address.

• @Triffid said:
    You can send it to me Robin.

I haven't got it. I will get it.

• edited March 2022

There are two config files for comparison.

{
        "name": "Match" ,
        "auto_compass_switch":1,
        "big_team_scoring":"agg", "big_team_size":8, "big_team_spacing":1,
        "use_screens":false,
        "num_rounds": 2,
        "boards_per_round":12,
        "match_assignments": [ [3,4,1,2], [4,3,2,1] ],
        "num_tables":4,
        "scoring_break":true,
        "scoring_method":17,
        "self_alert":true,

"team_names": [ "Home Team ", "Home Team ", "Visitors ", "Visitors " ],
    "time_display":0,
    "time_per_round":2700,
    "total_num_pairs":0,  "vp_scale":0 
    }

• Second config file

{
        "name": "Wessex League Match",

"table_announcements": [ 
        {   "round": 0, "html": 
            "<div style='margin-left: 5%; margin-right:5%; font-size: 1.5em;'> <h3 style='text-align: center;'>Welcome to this Wessex League Match</h3> <p>You do not need to move - it happens automatically. </p>Please remember to SELF ALERT (click the Alert tab) or ANNOUNCE YOUR OWN BIDS by typing in the box provided.</div>" } ],
    "team_names": [ "Home Team 1", "Home Team 2", "Visitors 1", "Visitors 2" ],
    "time_per_round":2700,
    "total_num_pairs":0, "video_network_mode":"default", "vp_scale":0 
    }

• @108839 sent me the two config files in the previous posts, and the following

I have attached the config file. Two in fact, one has the basic info, and the one more detailed, and has a table announcement, which you can use as a template to suit your own needs.
    The key differences between these files and the one on RealBridge website, HERE are:

• big_team_spacing is 1
    • Match assignments are 3412,4321
      It is these two changes that have made it work like when we play a head to head teams of eight face to face.
      The config file also has self alerts on, no screens, but this can be changed, and aggregate scoring (so add up all four boards, then convert each board to IMPS.
      Just for clarity, even though it says number of rounds is 2 of 12 boards, because the movement is 2 1/2, it means each round consists of two "sub" rounds, so four rounds of 6
      I am happy to provide any further assistance.
      @108839
  • edited March 2022

Apologies 10839.

I have amended it for 6 T of 8. Useful for Leagues all playing together. Of course can be amended for any number of tables. My personal announcements plus picture of clubhouse added (before start Round 1). In addition there is an info page which can be viewed anytime by the players.

{
    "name": "Cumb/Wes Interclub Teams of 8",
    "boards_per_round":8,
    "auto_compass_switch": 1,

"big_team_size": 8,
    "big_team_spacing": 1,
    "big_team_scoring": "imps",
    "match_assignments":[

[3,4,1,2,7,8,5,6,11,12,9,10],
              [4,3,2,1,8,7,6,5,12,11,10,9]

],
    "num_tables":12,
    "num_rounds":2,
    "scoring_break":true,"scoring_method":17,

"self_alert":false,

"table_announcements": [
    {
    "round": 0,
    "html": "

Welcome to Stanwix Bridge Club hosting the West/Cumb Inter Club Teams on Realbridge.

We hope you enjoy the evening. All players will remain seated throughout. The system will move you automatically.Please click the ‘refresh’ button, the 2 circling arrows next to your name every half hour or so. This clears sludge from the video buffers, and reduces the number of video freezes for yourself and everyone else.

Please do not log off or RealBridge may think we have all gone home

If you are disconnected, please log in with exactly the same name and EBU number

Please look at the info page (Button aboves Scores) to see notes on etiquette

Your Director this evening is Ken Johnston (Don't let him fall asleep).

"
    },
    {"round":"info","html":"

Etiquette

As in real life, you should alert your partner's bids (not your own) and announce e.g. 12-14 weak etc.

Please describe your system when joining a new table ideally also pasting a short description into chat.

Links to convention cards are not mandatory. However if your partnership methods are not simple enough to be adequately described in chat you might consider posting one.

To ensure an enjoyable online experience we would be grateful if you could observe the following points of etiquette:

Play in the quietest setting available to your in your home - where you will not be disturbed by other people, animals or noisy machines.

In order to reduce any background noise, consider muting your microphone except when you are in conversation with others or announcing/explaining bids.

Ensure any phones in the room are on silent or answerphone. It is not acceptable to use a phone during play unless there is an emergency. If you need to leave the table for any reason, please excuse yourself and put your microphone on silent and return to the table as soon as possible.

If you need to eat or drink, please do so as quietly as possible with the same consideration to others as you would use at the club.

"
    }

],

"team_names":[

"Windermere 1","Windermere 2","Carlisle 1","Carlisle 2","Kendal 1","Kendal 2","Grange 1","Grange2","Keswick 1",
    "Keswick 2","West Coast 1","West Coast 2"],
    "time_per_round":1800,
    "total_num_pairs":0,
    "trick_one_delays":[0,0,0],
    "vp_scale":0

}

• Oops. Didn't realise it would show picture. Delete if not allowed.

• big_team_spacing = 1 is correct. Home team T1 and 2 is correct. need to change match assignments.

These are the key components of the config file;

• Those assignments are the ones I've shown for Rounds 1 and 2? The rest are for the other 8 tables. Am I missing something? Your example is only for 2 teams of 8.

• That all worked without a hitch.