Home EBU TDs

Face to Face TD refresher course

Hi, I am hoping that we will return to F2F bridge later this year, and a number of our previous directors won't have had any directing practice for well over a year by the time we restart. So I think they will need some help to get back to directing.

I have an initial draft list of likely topics, which is

• (F2F) movements
  • insufficient bid and comparable calls
  • bid (/pass) out of turn
  • opening lead out of turn
  • revoke

Is there anything else I should add? Anything to drop from the list?

Any suggestions / help would be gratefully received. I'm not going to pull anything together until any re-opening schedule is made, but I'd like to be better prepared.

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Claims!
    Possibly also penalty cards - I know they come up as part of the 5 options but there are things such as multple penalty cards and difference between a minor and major one.
    There will also have, presumably, been a lack of UI cases online . . .

• No, plenty of UI cases online

• @Frances said:
    No, plenty of UI cases online

Oh yes...

MI, UI and disputed claims is all there is online (technical issues aside).

• We have half a dozen new TDs who qualified just before lockdown and have yet to direct a session. For myself, I'm just hoping that I can recall enough to be useful and relatively fair.

• @JeremyChild said:

Oh yes...

MI, UI and disputed claims is all there is online (technical issues aside).

Bad behaviour. Worse online that in real life.

• @Frances said:

Yes it's there, but I find it less prevalent than IRL. But then I only use Realbridge.

• Slow play. :'(
    Online the hand can be cut and the TD adjudicate a score. IRL?

• @Frances said:

I also find it less prevalent online than F2F. But then I only use BCL. :)

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• "> @Mark_Brown said:

Slow play. :'(
    Online the hand can be cut and the TD adjudicate a score. IRL?

Funnily enough it's the threat of the TD adjudicating the score that is (one of) the main reasons I won't play BBO pairs online.

• 2 penalty cards. may declarer choose which one to request opponents partner to play first? plus may declarer forbid/insist on the suit and if he does, are both penalty cards returned to hand?

• edited August 2021

All the rules for multiple penalty cards are in Law 51.

A: If it's the turn of the player with the multiple penalty cards, the declarer chooses which one to use that turn.
    B: If the declarer prohibits or requires a defender to lead a suit using that defender's partner's penalty card, all the penalty cards in that suit are returned to the hand. Penalty cards in other suits remain, so the truth is somewhere between the two options you suggested.
    B2b: Declarer can use multiple penalty cards to prohibit multiple suits, in which case the penalty cards in all those suits are returned to hand.