Home EBU TDs

2cl Strong opening

Hello ,

Please kindly comment on which of the hands satisfy 2cl strong opening.

a) AKQxxxxx Kx Qx x

b) AKQxxxxx Ax xx x

c) AQJxxxxx AQx Qx -

d) AKxxxx AQxx xx -

e) AKJxxxx AQJ J x

Looking forward to receiving from you

Regards

Secaaddin Özdeniz

Comments

• Assuming 'strong' means permitted by 7C1 (a)

a) AKQxxxxx Kx Qx x: 14 HCP, 4 controls, not strong

b) AKQxxxxx Ax xx x: 13 HCP, 5 controls, strong

c) AQJxxxxx AQx Qx -: 15 HCP, 4 controls, not strong

d) AKxxxx AQxx xx -: 13 HCP, 5 controls, strong

e) AKJxxxx AQJ J x: 16 HCP (5 controls), strong

Sorry if I can't add up :)

• In EBU-land, all except Hands (a ) and (c) fall within the requirements for a hand to be considered "strong".

Hand (d) has only 12 cards, but let's assume another small card. Hands (b) and (d) then have 13 HCP but they have 5 controls (A=2,K=1).

Hands (a) and (c) have fewer than 16 HCP and fewer than 5 controls.

(If WBF-land, then all the hands come under the definition of strong as they all have 13+ HCP.)

You could generate further discussion by saying what agreements you have for a 2C opening! B)

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• @Senior_Kibitzer said:
    You could generate further discussion by saying what agreements you have for a 2C opening!

Blue Book 7C1 allows 'strong any shape, or intermediate with long spades' - these hands would all meet that agreement.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    Sorry if I can't add up :)

@Senior_Kibitzer said:
    Hand (d) has only 12 cards, but let's assume another small card.

Apparently I can' t count to 13, never mind adding up HCP or controls.

• I had to re-count several times too!! :)

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• The qualifications as to whether the hands are 'strong' or not as per the EBU blue book have been detailed above.

There is nothing to stop a player opening 2 Clubs with any of them - provided an accurate description is given. My favourite is "8 playing tricks in an unspecified suit. If the suit isn't clubs then the hand may not be strong".

Any hand of 13+ can be defined to be 'strong' as per the WBF if the RA allow it. The EBU impose a requirement that if it is less than 16 points it must have 5 controls. The EBU also allow a 12 point hand with 5 controls to be classified as 'strong' - I believe this is against WBF systems policy.

http://db.worldbridge.org/Repository/departments/systems/policy.asp