English Bridge Education and Development
English Bridge Education and Development is the new charity which has been established to undertake and oversee the teaching and growth of bridge in England. It began activities on 1st April.
The objectives of the charity are:
(1) the advancement of amateur sport by promoting the game of duplicate bridge for the public benefit.
(2) the advancement of the education of young persons in full time education in the playing of duplicate bridge.
The charity will, amongst other activities:
- promote and develop bridge as a social and community activity with particular health benefits in maintaining effective brain function and providing opportunities to foster friendships and community spirit.
- train bridge teachers and Tournament Directors
- produce books and educational materials
- provide, and help associations, clubs and groups to provide, classes, workshops, seminars and similar activities to improve players skills and enjoyment of the game and to encourage members to regard bridge as a lifelong learning experience
- provide help and advice to associations and clubs on the promotion of duplicate bridge in their organisation
- publicise the educational merits of duplicate bridge as an activity for the development of young people;
- promote and enable competition amongst young bridge players in domestic and international events
- provide and organise tuition for young people to learn duplicate bridge within schools and universities in England
We are pleased to welcome Simon Barb to the position of Education Development Manager. He will be taking over from long time Education Manager John Pain, who is taking partial retirement, but will remain working for us on other matters. Simon will be working mainly for our new associated Charity and will work with the Trustees to deliver existing programmes and to deliver new ones in the months and years to come.