Home County to County Discussion Group

Technology Strategy

This explains how we support the technology on which we rely today, and how in the future we will use technology to enhance the bridge playing experience of our members and the efficiency of the organisation; a possible vision for this is that

• Our player members will have access, at reasonable cost, to the best online bridge playing capabilities which exist across the world; while we will maximise the value of the supporting systems EBU has developed over the years.

The scope will include how we make best use of today’s offerings for online bridge, and how we invest in technology now and in the future.

Inputs on scope, issues and solutions are welcomed.

Comments

• Technology is not just about online bridge. What about having the EBU assist in club payment systems, for example? That would be a tangible benefit to clubs.

I am not sure the vision makes sense. How would anyone NOT have access "to the best online bridge playing capabilities which exist across the world"? I think the EBU's role in running virtual bridge clubs is the result of a special set of circumstances to do with BBO and the pandemic specifically and that these special circumstances will and are changing.

Should the EBU make running online bridge a core part of its function? I think that is an interesting question and not one I've seen covered in the other strategy discussions. It would be a departure from its historic role where the EBU has only run things like competitions which are best run centrally.

Tim

• Relating to scope should the EBU be looking to provide online bridge playing capabilities either directly or in partnership, this could both mitigate the revenue risk identified elsewhere and provide exactly the capabilities required by EBU members. These capabilities would then be available for use by: the EBU for national/international competitions; clubs for local competitions and individual members for casual play or learning and development.

• @patricks said:

...... we will maximise the value of the supporting systems EBU has developed over the years..........

Is this intended to include work to look at expanding and enhancing use of NGS-type data by members ?