Home Scoring and other IT questions

Importing Real Bridge results into EBUScore

Does anyone have any experience/success with importing RealBridge XML files into EBUScore to tidy up names adjust scores etc?
By adding a PAIRS element to the XML file I can import without error messages but the names are all mixed up. I think because RealBridge has Pair 2 as EW at T1 and pair 4 as EW at T2 whilst EBUscore assumes that Pair 2 is NS at T , pair 4 is NS at T4 etc.

Comments

• I was about to post a very similar question. I have not yet managed to import a RB xml file into EBU score at all.

• I find that tidying up names and adding missing EBU numbers can be done easily using an xml editor. To add artificial scores or weighted scores I need to be able to import the xml file into a scoring program.

• I have been experimenting with this today.

First I should say that I am no expert; I did not know that by adding a PAIRS element to the xml file I could get it to import into EBU score. Having tried this it worked for the simple xml file but did not work for the xml file with LIN.

As in the OP the player names appear to be messed up. However, when you click to ‘Enter Scores’ the right pairs are playing against each other on every board. I adjusted a result (being careful to select the right line on the traveller) and created a new EBU UMS file. The results in this file do appear to be correct i.e. the correct pairs are still playing against each other for every board.

This would seem to be a solution to create the correct scores to upload to the EBU. As I can’t get the xml (LIN) file to upload into EBU score it still means I can’t get the correct scores with the bidding/play to upload to a BridgeWebs site.

Hopefully someone with more expertise than me can shed more light on this.

• Hi both,

I can help a bit here. Firstly EBUScore cannot support importing the XML files with LIN data created by RealBridge. If you want to do a score correction and keep the LIN data I would recommend using BBO to XML. This will allow you to edit the scores through the GUI and then create a new XML file still with the LIN data. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions for how to do this.

BBO to XML may well help with the names too or you could open the XML file in a text editor and correct that way.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Jonathan

• How can BBO to XML work with RealBridge?

• Ignore my previous post. I have now worked it out.

Thank you Jonathan; I had not realised BBOtoXML had this function.

• Nor had I realised BBOtoXML had the capability so many thanks Jonathan.

• No problem but I think the real thanks goes to John and Mirna Goacher for producing BBO Extractor and BBO to XML and the additional functionality and improvements they continue to add.

• To import XML files with lin data you need to use the Usebio DTD file held on Bridgewebs rather than on the EBU.

Just change the 2nd line of the XML file from:

http://www.ebu.co.uk/usebio/usebio_v1_2.dtd"

to

https://dds.bridgewebs.com/dtd/usebio_v1_2_ext.dtd"

• Hi Jonathan, thanks for this and to others also.

I can (and just have) downloaded an xml file from RealBridge, passed it through the BBO to XML according to instructions, edited the xml file in an editor to correct various user-entered problems (fred jones instead of frederick jones; janebrown instead of jane brown; ebu numbers omitted or entered wrong, etc etc) saved it and then submitted it to EBU where it was accepted and looks fine. That's all great!
    But I can't get EBUScore to recognise the amendments in the xml file, (weirdly it parses it OK but ignores my edits, I have double checked that they look exactly the same as the other entries and, as I say EBU Submit sees them fine). Neither can I add/edit the names and/or EBU numbers within EBUScore when I retrieve the file - it gives me reports OK (without my manual edits to EBU numbers and/or names in the XML file) but there doesn't seem a way to correct either names or numbers within EBUScore. I have tried various tricks, going via csv files, using the BridgeWebs dtd etc but no luck there either. I have also tried importing using the EBU numbers (the "cancel" option when importing an xml file into EBUScore) but that just gives an error message and creates an empty file.

Anyone successfully **editing ** a Realbridge event in EBUScore? We don't use BridgeWebs, by the way.

Thanks in advance

Nicky

• Nicky, we don't use EBUScore (or Bridgewebs), so this may or may not help you.

I take the XML (with LIN) file from RealBridge and import into the BBO-XML converter, which I first use to get the analysed PBN (the RB one seems to be just the hands without the analysis and I need the analysed version for Pianola). I load the Names file at this stage as well, as BBO-XML then tells me which names it can't recognise (a common one is where someone has added a space after their name on the RB login).

I then save the imported file as CSV and do any necessary edits on the CSV. These can be to the names, however where someone habitually puts their name in differently to how it is on Pianola, I deal with this differently (read on).

The Names file is the one I use for BBO games, but I have added lots of lines at the end to cover the varied and weird names people put in. Also, Pianola doesn't like "jane smith" if the member is "Jane Smith" whereas the Names file will interpret the name without worrying about case - so, yes, all my members have an extra line in the Names file - eg jane smith,Jane,Smith,<EBU#> (it didn't take long to set up and saves me heaps of work).

Final step is creating the new XML using the saved CSV.

Hope this is some help.

• I just upload the RealBridge XML directly and resolve any name mismatches at upload time.

Just a quick plug, as well as being TD, I'm a software developer with my own Bridge scoring software (predating EBUScore by several decades). With the latest version, you can import a RealBridge XML file (with or without LIN data). It will automatically reconcile names and EBU numbers against the club membership database using fuzzy name matching techniques (eg. Dick Smythe would provisiinally match Richard Smith etc.). http://scorer.writerman.org.uk for details.