Home EBU TDs

Partnership Understanding - Level 2

I happened to be playing at 11 a.m. and at the beginning, the director mentioned (standard text notice) it was Level 2 and Lucas Two and Multi 2D were not allowed. Please help me to understand why a "Lucas Two" bid is not allowed when it is clearly allowed in BB 6 D 1. If my reading is correct then I would recommend the standard text notice be corrected.

Comments

• Lucas 2 bids ARE allowed since the call shows at least 4 cards in the suit opened. Equally a precision 2 Club opener - which shows either 6 clubs or 5 clubs and a 4 card major is also allowed.

Multi style bids (those that can be weak or strong, or refer to multiple possible denominations without strength showing) are not allowed. 'Strong Hands' can basically be bid in any way you like. One difference between level 2 and level 4 is that Benji Style bids (2 Clubs or 2 Diamonds) MUST be strong - you cannot say simply '8 Playing tricks in an unspecified suit' - (and even at level 4 if the suit is the suit bid then it has to be strong)

Some non-EBU members may play in these events and they would not know what "EBU Level 2" meant.

• Weejonnie - I am with you and in agreement with what you state as it is clear in the Blue Book as allowed. My concern is why do the Director's state in the opening Lucas Twos are not allowed. Thank you

• edited November 2020

EBU Directors use the 'chat manager' to store phrases that commonly used - those that use the 'official' ones will tabulate them with a reference. It may be that the director has a bespoke phrase set up saying what is and isn't allowed and hasn't spotted the problem.

Obviously it is difficult/ impossible to explain to a TD that his explanation is not accurate when you are playing - I would suggest that you note their BBO name (EBU_n) and raise the query with Gordon. You should be able to cut and paste the comment into an e-mail. Going this way should, I hope, reduce any embarrassment.

Another possibility is that the description in the tournament "NO STRONG PLAYERS PLEASE This game is for EBU players with NGS of 9 or less 6x2-board rounds No robots Straightforward systems only EBU master points and NGS" is causing some confusion between a 'Level 2' system and a 'simple system'.

• I've noted this thread and raised it with all the TDs who run these games, so I hope we'll be able to find a way of consistently providing accurate information about what people are allowed to play

• edited November 2020

I think some TD's had standard texts from a few months ago and these have now been amended as Gordon has mentioned.

• Thank you, Gordon and others who have responded. It is not necessary, in my opinion, at this time to mention the TD's name as I believe in the management stating it will be raised with all TDs. For me this subject is closed.