Home Scoring and other IT questions

BBOtoXML with "ANNUAL MAJOR COUNTY PAIRS CHAMPIONSHIP"

Hi

First time poster here.

I was running a pairs event that was the county's "ANNUAL MAJOR COUNTY PAIRS CHAMPIONSHIP" (per 6.3 of the master points handbook 2021). This means a UMS of 20 but green points (GP).

I had problems putting it through BBOtoXML.
First I tried UMS 20 (county event) , but it didn't do the GPs right (predictably).
Then I tried UMS 60 (Green pointed) - it correcty ldentifed it as GP, but said it couldn't calculate the GPs - this being due either to "not enough boards have been played or perhaps it is a pairs event. "

I solved the submitting problem (calculated and entered GPs manually, then saved and edited the XML file to show UMS 20), but what I'm wondering is why it didn't work.

There were enough boards, and while it was a pairs event, I'm sure I've put GP pairs through BBOtoXML before (although maybe I'm mistaken).

I was wondering if was the low number of pairs (only 9!)

Any suggestions?

Jeremy

Comments

• Code 60 is correct. Did you play at least 36 boards?

• @Triffid said:
    Code 60 is correct. Did you play at least 36 boards?

Yes - 45

• Did you try importing into EBUScore Pairs. That should solve it. Pretty sure you still need to use code 60 for submission rather than code 20.

• I couldn't figure out how to. EBUScore seems to expect .dat files. I tried with the xml but just got nonsense.

• In EBU Score- Import Event from Main Menu-Next Page-Import from XML File. This will create a new event to do with as you wish. Assume Version 1.26.

• @Triffid said:
    In EBU Score- Import Event from Main Menu-Next Page-Import from XML File. This will create a new event to do with as you wish. Assume Version 1.26.

Aha!

I was using EBUScore 1.1 which doesn't have this option. Update to 1.2 which does and the import worked fine - thanks.

BUT

It has calculated the GPs differently to the way I did. It has given awards to just the top 3 (of 9) pairs.

According to the masterpoints handbook 2021, 6.3.3 (ii), the top 50% receive GP awards.

The settings I used were:
    UMS code: 20 (but setting it to 60 made no difference)
    Type of event: County 1 Day GP A Final (but changing this made no difference)
    Masterpoitn scale: G County Major Championship Pairs Final.

• Here is what I had from Jonathan Lillycrop on this:

The Master Points for this are incorrect using scale G as it only awards to the top 1/3 rather than to the top half. It is on the list to be corrected.

To get the correct awards you need to work out the correct top and bottom (0.25) award based on the Master Point handbook section 6.3.4:

(a) In all cases, the top Green Point award is 2.50 + TOE/20, rounded up to the nearest 0.25 GP, and subject to a maximum award of 7.00 GPs. N.B. the TOE is expressed in terms of the number of pairs (not tables).

(b) The last pair to receive an award receives 0.25 GPs. Awards for intermediate places are calculated in accordance with the standard EBU formula referred to in 6.6 (see https://www.ebu.co.uk/gradings-rankings/green-point-calculator).

Then in EBUScore use Masterpoint scale EB EBU GP Scale and on the SP/EB Scale Details put in the Top Award, Lowest Award (0.25) and Percent of Field (50). These go in EBU Scale GP Rank Award box under Strat Level A.

Master Points should then be correct.

Probably worth contacting Jonathan if you still have problems.

• Hi all,

A few points:

1 - BBO to XML won't calculate the awards for a County Major Pairs Championship, given there are numerous options there would be no straight forward way for them to do it.

2 - Major Championship Pairs should be submitted as code 20 not code 60.

3 - There is a new version of EBUScore Pairs which is version 1.2.12 which will be available through MyEBU later today and which will calculate the Green Point awards correctly for a Major Championship Pairs just by choosing scale G.

Jonathan