Home Club Forum

Reminder of contract during play

Is it permissible for any of the players to leave out or partially put back into the bidding box the designation of the final contract. Some players do this so they don’t forget what the contract is.

Comments

• Although you are not allowed aids to your memory, you are allowed to ask what the contract is at any time, so it seems a bit pedantic to disallow this. Note that this is very different from the player's partner stating the contract, unasked at various points in the play.

• This is a pet hate of mine… at the risk of being Gordon’s pendant ;)

As aids to memory are not allowed it seems wrong to allow the placing of a card as a reminder.

I accept of course a player need only ask, but who among us has not played or at least begun to play a hand in the wrong contract? If we are sure we are playing in the correct contract yet are not we may not ask….. but an aid memoir will remind us (illegally imho) regardless. This correcting our lapse unfairly.

I prefer not to permit this card placement.
  • I suspect that people who do this routinely would be as likely to play in the wrong contract as anyone else: when we do thing repeatedly, they tend to become "noise" that we ignore, so only if you consciously know you need to check the contract, which you would otherwise do by asking, would you look at the card you have left partially out of the box.

• but an aid memoir will remind us (illegally imho) regardless. This correcting our lapse unfairly.

I prefer not to permit this card placement.

@Tony5 would you permit a player to write down the contract (and even the opening lead) on a piece of paper - a scorecard?

• > @UsuallyDummy said:
    > @Tony5 would you permit a player to write down the contract (and even the opening lead) on a piece of paper - a scorecard?

I would, but not to refer to it during play.
  • @gordonrainsford said:

@UsuallyDummy said:
    @Tony5 would you permit a player to write down the contract (and even the opening lead) on a piece of paper - a scorecard?

I would, but not to refer to it during play.

+1