Rules on Bidding Boxes

I can't find any guidance as to how this can be used.

Specifically who should they face. A pair always have the box facing their partner so they can see exactly how the cards are touched and selected.

Also I know you are not supposed to fiddle with the box but where is this guidance to be found so a ruling can be made ?
thanks.

Comments

• Blue Book 3Z
  • If you fiddle with the box then you are in breach of the EBU guidelines 3ZA2. However there is no apparant prescribed penalty for doing so - one would appear in the White Book under section 2.8. If you wish to apply a penalty then you would have to look under 74A3 - "3. Every player should follow uniform and correct procedure in calling and playing." although this is merely a 'should' condition or alternatively 90B8 "8. failure to comply promptly with tournament regulations or with instructions of the Director".

Otherwise all someone can do if they observe this behaviour is 'reserve their rights' (although the White Book suggests calling the TD anyway) since the action of fiddling with the bidding box undoubtedly conveys UI.

• There are several players I have played with recently who pull out a card from the bidding box indicating the final contract, using it as a reminder through the play so that they know what the contract is. I have called the TD over and the opposition have become extremely annoyed with me but I played in a competition some time ago and after two tricks had been played declarer asked his partner what contract they were in and opposition (my partner) called for the TD, the TD ruled that they were not allowed to ask after the first trick. If that is indeed the case how can a bidding box reminder be legal.

• @Mslightfoot said:
    There are several players I have played with recently who pull out a card from the bidding box indicating the final contract, using it as a reminder through the play so that they know what the contract is. I have called the TD over and the opposition have become extremely annoyed with me but I played in a competition some time ago and after two tricks had been played declarer asked his partner what contract they were in and opposition (my partner) called for the TD, the TD ruled that they were not allowed to ask after the first trick. If that is indeed the case how can a bidding box reminder be legal.

You are allowed to ask what the contract is, but you are not allowed to ask what the auction was after you have played to the first trick.

• Thank you, but what about the card angled in the bidding box ?

• Most people write the contract on their score cards. I sometimes forget and check my card. If I am North I may refresh the Bridgemate to see the contract.
  • @Mslightfoot said:
    Thank you, but what about the card angled in the bidding box ?

Strictly speaking you are not allowed any aids to your memory, but since you are allowed to ask what the contract is at any time, most people would not be very concerned about this.

• Although if you write down the opening lead at the start of play in your scorecard then you cannot refer to your scorecard during the rest of the play.