Home EBU TDs

Break in Tempo: when do I become Dummy?

At the club during our relaxed Monday morning game we had the following - almost - textbook auction, MPs; vulnerable vs not;:

(P) 1NT (P) 2D (....P) 2H AP

Textbook apart from the fact that my LHO thought for 30s before his second PASS. Of course, RHO led a diamond. I didn't say anything and partner made 10 tricks for a joint top so no harm done. It would be a straightforward task for the director, had the result been a bad one for us, to poll opening leaders peers to see if there was an LA to the diamond lead and go from there. My question though is: at what point does my right to ask, say, "Can we agree that LHO thought for a while before passing the 2D bid?" end? I know I can (should?) wait until the end of play but could I ask with the opening lead face down on the table ... or maybe immediately after the final PASS. Seems a bit aggressive to ask in mid auction.
Thoughts? I suppose this comes down to; when does "dummy become "dummy" for the purposes of L41-43.

Peter

Comments

• From the definitions in the Laws:

Dummy 1. Declarer’s partner. He becomes
    dummy when the opening lead is
    faced and ceases to be dummy when
    play ends. 2. Declarer’s partner’s
    cards, once they are spread on the
    table after the opening lead.

• I think that a player can do this at any time - even when dummy!

1. When a player considers that an opponent has made such information available and that
      damage could well result he may announce, unless prohibited by the Regulating Authority
      (which may require that the Director be called), that he reserves the right to summon the
      Director later (the opponents should summon the Director immediately if they dispute the
      fact that unauthorized information might have been conveyed).

Dummy can't call the director or draw attention to an irregularity - but there hasn't been one!

Does 43A1c apply in this situation? Does 'information' = 'play'? I mean you don't even have to say WHY you reserve the right to call the director.

• Interesting ... is the break in tempo and potential use of UI not an (potential) irregularity?
    L9A4
    4. Dummy may not call attention to an irregularity until play of the hand is concluded (but see Law 20F5 for correction of declarer’s apparently mistaken explanation).

L16B3
    3. When a player has substantial reason to believe that an opponent who had a logical alternative has chosen an action suggested by such information, he should summon the Director when play ends5. The Director shall assign an adjusted score (see Law 12C1) if he considers that an infraction of law has resulted in an advantage for the offender

5 It is not an infraction to call the Director earlier or later.

• Interesting discussion. From a common sense point of view, I don't particularly want dummy pointing this out during play because it could easily tip declarer off to some subtlety, it seems to me. So best practice seems to be to call at the end of the hand.

• @JamesC said:
    Interesting discussion. From a common sense point of view, I don't particularly want dummy pointing this out during play because it could easily tip declarer off to some subtlety, it seems to me. So best practice seems to be to call at the end of the hand.

I agree: like children, dummy should be seen and not heard. Just wondering about the legal rather than the practical position.

• Of course, the pauser might not have been considering a lead-directing double, he might have been considering, e.g., a Spade overcall?
    That said, a double is certainly one of the likely options and if partner leads a D without good reason of his own it would be suspicious.