Home EBU TDs

Is this level 2 legal.

1NT over a major showing a good raise to the two level (amongst other things) - we are looking at hands with a couple of decent cards, 3 or 4 trump support, notionally 8-9 HCP. The bid is stronger than a direct raise to the two level.

Comments

• I presume you mean "in response to a major" rather than "over a major"?

BB6C3 includes:

All the standard responses are permitted, but (apart from negative responses to a Strong 1
    opening, or a catch-all 1NT response) artificial weak bids in response to a one-level suit opening
    are not.

I think this disallows what you are asking about.

• OK - just wondering how 'weak' is 'weak'? - since a catchall 1NT (which includes hands so described as a subset) is allowed.

• edited January 2020

To revisit the original question, is 1NT showing a good 2 level raise an artificial weak bid? I'd understand that as debarring some kind of negative rather than this method.

• Well Level 2 is supposed to limit the possibilities to those that are expected or may be understood by inexperienced players. Having 1NT as showing several things including a raise of the suit doesn't seem to me to fall into that category.

Note that even at Level 4 a 1NT response that could have more than 10hcp is alertable.