Home EBU TDs

Undos online

Hello all again, more from the wilds of West Somerset Online.
A defender, third in hand with dummy to play last, 'misclicks' (playing the A when he has the J and can see dummy's highest is the 9), asks for an Undo and is granted it by declarer.
Dummy subsequently objects.
Obviously the table result has to stand as declarer, whether well- or ill-advisedly, granted the Undo; but in more general terms, dummy tells me 'EBU allow Undos in the bidding but not in the play'.
Is this an accurate interpretation? And if so, is it an rule or, as Captain Barbosa might say, more of a guideline?
And given that BBO allows no directorial options other than 'Allow Undos' and "Do Not Allow Undos' (making no distinction between bidding and play), what could in theory or practice be done to implement it?

Comments

• The EBU does not allow undos in our own tournaments on BBO but we allow them in the auction in teams matches. This is laid out in the Sky-blue Book and in the Online Match Regulations.

Clubs do not have to follow the same regulations but are advised to make a regulation and stick to it consistently.

• Bridge Club Live does not have an "Undo" button as such, but does allow players to restart an auction if they make an Unintended Call as per Law 25A. The need to click a call from a bidding box and then click elsewhere to confirm the call keeps these "mis-clicked" calls fairly rare. Extensive notes on the web site describe why we don't allow "undos" in the play of the cards, the difference between unintended calls and mis-bids, and that players are expected to allow a change of call if a player restarts an auction claiming "Mis-click" and then ask for a ruling if they think it may have been a "change of mind" situation (or are simply unhappy!).

Just yesterday I had a case where a player had dealt and opened 2D with a perfect-looking weak two in diamonds and then immediately restarted the auction claiming "Mis-click" and opened with Pass. He and his partner both had profiles showing that they play three weak twos but their System Card showed that, together, they actually play Multi 2D. Working out a weighted adjustment was interesting.

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• Trouble is that a misclick does not exclusively mean they clicked the wrong button, it can also mean that they clicked when they didn't intend to.

In the example you listed, they could have hovered over 2D considering the call as a weak 2, then thought we play multi. Then instead of moving to Pass, they accidentally clicked and made the 2D call they didnt intend to make.

Maybe it was a misclick, maybe they realised their error and tried to correct it, but I certai ly would jot rule out the possibility of a misclick.
  • Your described explanation is possible but it would mean that the player had clicked the 2D bid the first time intending to call 2D, and then having moved the mouse to click to confirm the 2D call, then decided just before clicking that he was playing Multi and then failed to move the mouse before accidentally clicking.

I haven't played in BBO in years: Is it necessary when bidding to click a call in two different locations in order to make the call?

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• @Senior_Kibitzer said:
    I haven't played in BBO in years: Is it necessary when bidding to click a call in two different locations in order to make the call?

Depends - Pass and Double are single clicks, whereas bids need two clicks - you have to click "2" and ":diamond:" separately. Plus you can choose to always have confirmation clicks similar to the BCL confirm click.

• I am an experienced online gamer and when under time pressure I will occasionally misclick (play bullet 1 minute chess with no add-on for example). I am yet to do this playing online bridge.

I do, however, quite frequently click on the 'number' and then point at the suits whilst I am thinking about my bid.

This probably came from playing with robots frequently where fairly obvious looking bids have preposterous meanings, so that you have to point at the bids to try and find something that meets your needs (forcing or not forcing for instance).

This habit has followed through to playing with humans - quite possibly because I play with several people and every partnership has their own system. So I will click on, for example 2, then point at diamonds and think, do we play that as weak...? and so on. Maybe that is idiosyncratic and I'm the only one to that, maybe not?

So, I can still see how someone could misclick 2D, rather than having an immegiate change of mind.

Perhaps policy could be that you get one off these 'for free', with the advice to enable the confirmation option as any request in future would be denied? That maybe easier in a club environment than in, say, an EBU competition.

• I opened 1NT (on BBO) and the bidding went Pass Pass and the hand in the protective seat seemed to be hesitating.
    Eventually, the bid appeared - it was Pass but annotated "showing both Majors".
    His partner had not seen the annotation.
    It helped me a little in the play, of course,
    At the end, I asked him and he admitted he'd typed in his Landy explanation and then chickened out and passed.
    Sorry about posting in this thread but the incident amused me and is (vaguely) in the area.

• What happens, if I type in both majors and then pass, but don't actually have both majors?

• A nice question.
    I suppose I should have called the TD and, through private messaging. explained what had happened.
    If I'm playing you, Martin, I should also call the TD and, through private messaging. explain what had happened.
    Then we have consistency.