What is the EBU doing for its Clubs?
Is your club making the most of its membership of the EBU? Here is a reminder of some of the services and benefits that the EBU provides specifically for its affiliated clubs. Why not read through them and check to see if there is anything else the club could avail itself of? Click on a hyperlink for further details on our website.
- Free Club Teacher Training. Each EBU club can take advantage of one free club teacher training course in any 24-month period to assist with the development of the club and to attract new members. The courses are subject to availability and conditions apply*.
- Free Club Tournament Director Training. Buy one get one free on all Tournament Director training places. Subject to availability and conditions apply*.
- Reduced Cost Public Liability Insurance. Extensive club cover for a very low price.
- Discounts of 12% on bridge equipment for affiliated Clubs. The EBU shop provides good quality low cost equipment and stationery. If you can find the same item advertised cheaper elsewhere, we will match the price where possible.
- National Club Committee. The NCC represents the interests of our clubs at national level. The Committee also ensures that clubs are consulted about EBU activities and plans that may affect them and their members through its network of Regional Representatives.
- Club Competitions. The EBU runs a number of competitions especially for its clubs. These currently include the NICKO, the National Pairs and EBU Simultaneous Pairs. New events are being introduced in the coming months including local based simultaneous pairs, stratified and handicapped events, and much more.
- National Grading Scheme. Clubs will be able to use the National Grading Scheme to enhance their competitions and events. We are hoping to be able to introduce the NGS in 2011.
- Master Points Scheme. An incentive which helps in promoting and retaining club membership.
- Services of the EBU Club Liaison Officer. Krys K can be contacted at any time for help and advice: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Services of the EBU Press & Communications Officer. Matt Betts can help with publicity for your club and events: email@example.com.
- Computer Deals and Hand Records. Free of charge (New — see article elsewhere in this issue of Club Focus).
- Extensive Support to Club Teachers. Through EBUTA, the EBU Teachers Association.
- Minibridge. The EBU is promoting Minibridge in schools to help ensure the future of bridge at our clubs in the long term. Your club can help.
- EBU Website. A treasure trove of information and advice. Downloads (free of charge) include:
- Model Club Constitution
- Convention Cards — blank ones you can fill in yourself, as well as ready prepared Convention Cards for Standard Benjy, Acol, etc.
- Orange Book (Handbook of EBU Directives) note: as of 2013 this was replaced with the Blue Book
- Tangerine Book (simply presented Handbook of EBU Directives for clubs) note: as of 2013 the Tangerine Book has been discontinued
- White Book (full EBU Tournament Directors' Guide)
- Other services and benefits in preparation:
- Club Management Handbook. Free of charge
- Online Club Committee Forum. Free of charge
- Club Directors’ Handbook. Free of charge
- Services and Benefits for Individual Members. The EBU also provides your individual members with a regular magazine and diary as well as a number of other membership benefits. See this article.
If you are interested in any of the above services or require advice or assistance on any matters pertaining to your club, please contact Krys K, the EBU Club Liaison Officer, on 01296-317206 or via his email: Andrew@ebu.co.uk. Krys is also happy to visit your club to discuss subjects such as ways to boost membership.
* Affiliated clubs taking advantage of this scheme must agree to remain affiliated for at least three years from the date of the courses (or else the EBU retains the right to seek payment for any free courses taken).